Torque converter issues?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 09:03 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Torque converter issues?

Hello Camaro forums,

I'm sorry to make my first post a bad one but I've got some issues. I recently installed a built SBC 350 into my stock I6 1975 camaro. I've bolted up the engine to tranny. Now I was preparing to bolt up the torque converter to the flex plate. I put the car in neutral and it is jacked up on stands. I tried to turn the TQ and it wouldn't budge. Tried to turn the crank shaft and it wouldn't budge. Put it in drive and turned the wheels nothin. I'm beginning to wonder if maybe I installed the flex plate in backwards or any number of mistakes because I don't know anything about mechanics just learnin as I go. Maybe I'm just going about this whole process wrong. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

-Tom

Old 08-28-2012, 09:17 PM
Banned

it sounds like the torqe converter is NOT fully seated into the trans! losen the bellhousing bolts and see if you can rotate the torqe converter if it turns keep turning it and it should slip into place then you can retighten the bell housing and bolt up the torqe converter to the flex plate

Old 08-29-2012, 01:14 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Thanks I'll try it first thing in the morning and let you know how it goes. I really appreciate the help

Old 08-29-2012, 07:14 AM
3rd Gear Member

I agree with A2 on this one. Hey you have to learn somehow.

Old 08-29-2012, 10:03 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Hah yea sometimes I wish I learned a little faster though. Alright so I got the bell housing bolts loose and was able to turn the TQ but only a little over a 1/4 turn. How can I be sure that it is positioned correctly now. Also I was wondering if putting some fluid in my trans would help it spin easier. Thanks
-Tom

Old 08-29-2012, 10:06 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Did a search and found if to bolt the TQ you have to pull it forward 1/4-1/2" then you know it was seated properly. I'll get back out there and check it out.

Old 08-29-2012, 10:23 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

When you put the torque converter on the trans, lube up the collar with trans fluid so you don't damage the seal, and turn the t.c. while pushing it in. You should feel up to three clicks, or clunks, as you turn it as the shaft splines mesh with the splines in the t.c. You might not feel all three, depending on how they all lined up to begin with. Basically, keep turning till you don't feel it dropping into place any more. When the trans is bolted up, you should be able to slide the t.c. forward (there will be a gap) to bolt up to the flexplate.
And no, not having any fluid in the trans won't prevent you from turning it over by hand.

Old 08-29-2012, 10:24 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Okay so the TQ turns a little but still is not set correctly. It binds if I try to turn it more than 1/4 turn. My ideas are the bell housing spread more towards the bottom but none towards the top so maybe if I put a jack under the tranny it would create more of a gap towards the top. Where would the optimal jacking point be the X member? Is this lack of gap towards the top what is causing the TQ to bind when being turned? THanks

Old 08-29-2012, 10:34 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Get a block of wood across the rear part of your oil pan and try jacking up there. You want to support it closer to center, to keep the gap more even, or you'll have angling/binding problems like you have now. Also, see my post above in case you missed it. We posted almost at the same time.

Old 08-29-2012, 10:49 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Just read your posts thanks for the quick responce time I'll get some wood and jack it up.

Quick Reply: Torque converter issues?