T56 Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 10:19 AM
bazkook
Default T56 Question

I have a 78 Camaro with a rather stout professionally built 383 stroker,it has been estimated at 550-600 HP by the engine builder and I plan on spraying probably 100-150 shots of nitrous sometimes. A built TH350 transmission is bolted up to theengine now and I have 3.90 gears(which I would not plan on replacing)but I would like to make the car more of a daily driver or cruiser with maybe a few occasional runs down the strip or on the street. One transmission that caught my eye was the 6 speed double overdrive T56. Many aftermarket T56s I've checked out are rated to handle up to 600 lb-ft of torque with the highest rated one(650lb-ft)sold by D&D Performance. Here's a link to the D&D Performance T56:
http://www.ddperformance.com/t56__6_...nsmissions.htm
I have few questions though.
First,would the T56 fit or will there be some modifications necessary?
Second,based on the HP I mentioned would the T56 hold up,even with the occasional bursts of nitrous?
Finally,if anyone has swapped in a T56into their ride,what kind ofincrease in gas mileage can be expected?
Thanks in advance!

Old 05-14-2007, 11:24 AM
May 2007 ROTM
Default RE: T56 Question

That seem's to be a whole lot of HP for a 383. If it does have that much, you will have some fast frame, and rear end problems. A verry stout built 383 will see numbers in the 400 hp range. Not tryin to rip into your motor, but why spend all that extra money getting parts that need to handle 600 Hp when your motor is turning 380 to the wheels. If you plan to take it to the track, get a th400 trans and a slap shifter so you can play with the gears when you want to.

Old 05-14-2007, 12:03 PM
bazkook

I think it may actually be a 388 stroker,according to Roz Howard,the engine builder. I've heard it's bigger,somewhere around a 401 stroker,from other sources. I trust the engine builder's word though. I've got the build sheet and as soon as I can type that up,I'll post it.
As far as the frame and rear end problems,I'm going to install subframe connectors and I've already got a new Auburn posi unit and Dana axles in(not use which Dana axles they are).
I might not even take it to the track if I put the T56 in it,for fear of breaking something. A TH400 would be out of the question. I want at least an overdrive.

Old 05-14-2007, 07:04 PM
June 2007 ROTM

well u if ur running a dana u aint driving it on the street. 600+ huh is it super charged motor?

Old 05-14-2007, 07:53 PM
bazkook

I'm not exactly sure on the Dana axles. All I know is the mechanic working on the car got some axles and I thought he said Dana axles. Sorry if this is a stupid question but why couldn't you use Dana axles on the street?
It's more like 550 HP,according to the engine builder. It's naturally aspirated. If I can find a chassis dyno nearby I'll probably get it dynoed. Then I can estimate how much HP the engine's putting out.
I typed up the specs on the engine and tried to post them but it was all jumbled up and unreadable when I previewed. If you want I could send you a text file of the specs in an email.
I don't know if you guys are doubting the HP level but if you read Chevy High Performance,Car Craft,or some other related magazines,they are all the time making ungodly power with a 383 stroker. Here are a few links to some online articles:

http://www.superchevy.com/tech/0412s...opy/index.html

http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/te...ine/index.html

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...0hp/index.html

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...comp_cams.html

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...ine/index.html

Old 05-14-2007, 08:19 PM
June 2007 ROTM

well if u have a dana in the rear that is for racing its unsafe for the street. when u turn one turn doesnt spin.

Old 05-14-2007, 09:28 PM
May 2007 ROTM

It's not that we don't think that you can get huge numbers out of a motor. It's just that there is a limit to what a NA motor will push out. 550 HP ouut of a 383 is a little heigh. They tend to top out around 450 full tilt. A motor pushin over 500 will run around $10,000 to build.....with parts and machine work, even for a big block. It would be a waste of money for you to spend all the extra cash looking for parts that can handle an extra 150 ponies that you may not have. If you want to email the specs to me, my email is in my profile, I'll do the math and give you a guesstimate on what the motor has..........As for the hot rod and car craft build's. They tend to run the #'s up a little cuz thats what sells. If they did a bit on my motor, or blades they would toss up some 750HP #'s , but a eng builder would say around 450 mine and 600hp for his. how they get these #'s is they run the crank hp with no alt fan trans or anything else to create load on a motor. Yours may be pushin that much but when its in the car it will be more like 400 to 425, wich is verry respectable.

Old 05-14-2007, 11:22 PM
bazkook

ORIGINAL: 74454bb

It's not that we don't think that you can get huge numbers out of a motor. It's just that there is a limit to what a NA motor will push out. 550 HP ouut of a 383 is a little heigh. They tend to top out around 450 full tilt. A motor pushin over 500 will run around $10,000 to build.....with parts and machine work, even for a big block. It would be a waste of money for you to spend all the extra cash looking for parts that can handle an extra 150 ponies that you may not have. If you want to email the specs to me, my email is in my profile, I'll do the math and give you a guesstimate on what the motor has..........As for the hot rod and car craft build's. They tend to run the #'s up a little cuz thats what sells. If they did a bit on my motor, or blades they would toss up some 750HP #'s , but a eng builder would say around 450 mine and 600hp for his. how they get these #'s is they run the crank hp with no alt fan trans or anything else to create load on a motor. Yours may be pushin that much but when its in the car it will be more like 400 to 425, wich is verry respectable.
I'm starting to think it may be bigger than a 383 stroker. I know that the engine builder told me it was closer to a 388 but that number may be a little conservative. It just might be a 401 stroker,if that's even possible. However I did ask the builder if an aftermarket T56 would stand the engine and he said it should handle it with no problem.
The car has quite a few weight savings and things done to help traction a little. I removed the A/C and heater unit completely(with the help of a hammer...),the CD player(although I may put one back in if I keep the car and drive it more),got a Harwood 4" fiberglass lift-off cowl hood,aluminum radiator,electric fan,set the motor back a few inches,removed the passenger seat,and put the battery and maybe a fuel cell in the future,in the trunk. In addition to the aluminum heads and aluminum intake manifold,how much of a weight savings can I expect with everything I mentioned?
Thanks to my neighbor,who is helping me with the car,knowing the engine builder I saved quite a bit. I've got a little over 7K in the engine and that's with forged pistons and crankshaft,aluminum intake manifold,AFR aluminum heads,hydraulic roller cam and lifters,conversion from a 2 bolt main to a 4 bolt main,etc. I'll email you the specs asap.
Now that it's been established that the T56 would most likely survive behind the engine,let's try to get back on topic and address the other 2 questions: will the T56 bolt right in and what kind of gas mileage boost can be expected with the T56. I'm really considering making the car a daily driver and I have the budget to get the T56.

Old 05-15-2007, 10:19 AM
June 2007 ROTM

u took a 4 bolt andturned it in to a 2 bolt why?

Old 05-15-2007, 10:38 AM
bazkook

Sorry if I was misunderstood. The original 2 bolt I had was converted to a 4 bolt.

Quick Reply: T56 Question