Carrier Shim Tapered Retainer

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 09:38 AM
Default Carrier Shim Tapered Retainer

Hey guys,

New to the forum. Have searched all over for an answer to this question...

Took apart my 10 bolt on my 79 belrinetta to find out why the rear end was soo noisy. Just recently bought the car. Turns out the "bubba" that had the car before me incorrectly installed a set of Richmond 4.10's...

The ring gear side carrier bearing had every shim under the sun jammed in there + the tapered shim endcap thing that sits against the axle tube, under the cap. The other side only had one small shim and no tapered ring. The shim is discolored and worn from the heat.

I know that tapered ring is required and I've seen them in about every gm rear I've ever worked on, but I cannot figure out what it's called. The standard shim kits from Summit and the like do not appear to include them, based on the generic picture anyway.

Does anyone know what those tapered rings are called, or have a link/part number where I can buy a set.

Thanks.

Old 05-14-2017, 08:01 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Are you saying the tapered part of the bearing (cup) is not there? That's part of a cup & cone style roller bearing. Can't picture what other tapered part you'd be referring to. That's worse than a "bubba" job if you have that piece missing.

Old 05-14-2017, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Are you saying the tapered part of the bearing (cup) is not there? That's part of a cup & cone style roller bearing. Can't picture what other tapered part you'd be referring to. That's worse than a "bubba" job if you have that piece missing.
No, it's not any part of the bearing or race. It's apparently a thick or cast shim that has a chamfered edge.

bigger problem is it looks like I have a series 2 carrier with series 3 gears...