1977 4.1L auto trans

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 10:50 AM
Default 1977 4.1L auto trans

Yesterday, I came out of my driveway and bottomed out hard. I stopped and went to put my camaro in park, and it would not move. We tried shifting it at the transmission and we got the shift arm to move, but the car wasn't changing gears. We tried to start it, but it moved forwards. Did I ruin my transmission or can I fix it?

BTW, I'm new to this whole forum thing, sorry if I'm doing something wrong.

Old 02-18-2018, 11:31 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

You could have damaged the valve body but it sound more like the cars shift lever is bent. Think of this as 2 levels there is the car shift linkage and there is the transmission shift linkage. Transmissions shift linkage extends into the transmission and is the same on every TH350. The car linkage is everything from the shifter to the trans linkage.

The transmission shift lever positions the shift valve in the valve body. If that position is off even a little the trans will not be in any gear.

As a general rule transmission shift levers can be straighten but in some cases the shift lever will need to be replaced. This is a easy repair for a trans tech and you might as well service the trans and the shifter shaft seal done at the same time.

First thing I would do is disconnect the cars shifter linkage with the car on stands and then see if you can find Park/Revers etc with the transmission linkage from under the car. If that is not working try to find a local trans guy that does side work. Many shops will try to tell you that you need a rebuild, this is just them trying to up sale you.

The first car I every worked on as a professional was back in 1986, it was a Caprice that hit a deer and bent both the car linkage and the transmission linkage. The trans linkage was bent at the shaft and would most likely leaked if I straightened it so I replaced the internal linkage and beat the car linkage straight. BTW 3 day old deer remains in July are not fun to work around. Really made me wonder if I picked the right career day one

Last edited by Gorn; 02-18-2018 at 11:37 AM.