Help on spring to axle brackets going onto ford 8.8

Old 03-23-2015, 04:50 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Help on spring to axle brackets going onto ford 8.8

I finally have the axle interior parts ready to go, now it is time to focus on the exterior. I test fit the old U bolts out of the stock Camaro axle. They seem to be able to fit (with a little work), so I can use my stock shock plate under it all. The spring perch is where I'm having an issue though. The Ford ones didn't match up in either location or configuration. So, they're off. I was looking at these https://www.npdlink.com/store/products/camaro_bracket_set_leaf_spring_to_axle-117444-847.html

The problem is, they say they are for a 1st gen. How far off of my new rear axle would they be? Could I do a bit of grinding to get it to fit the right curvature of the new axle? In order to avoid as much confusion of 'what part was Ford, what was Chevy' I'm trying to keep as much of the Chevy hardware as I can for the exterior. I also have some of the components on hand anyway, such as the afore mentioned spring/strut mount that goes on the bottom of everything.

I tried to find a Ford bracket, just for ****s and giggles, but it wasn't anything close to the set up I would need to make things work. Namely the shock/strut plate, or a way to attack the shock/strut to the axle assembly.

Old 03-24-2015, 09:40 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

You wont be able to use the stock Camaro spring plate without grinding the holes out about 1/8" more at each U bolt hole. The Explorer 8.8" axle has a 3.25" tube, and the stock 8.5" is a 3" tube. So you'll need the extra 1/8" at each hole for the wider U bolt. You'll also need to use the wider U bolts that come with an 8.8" axle.
On the swaps I've done I purchased spring perches from Summit for a 3" tube, and simply ground away another 1/8" on each side to allow them to sit on the 8.8" tube. But I also use the 8.8" spring plates and U bolts. It's easier to cut and weld shock mounts to the 8.8" plate, or weld a shock lower mount directly to the axle tube. They're also heavier plates than the stock 2nd gen Camaro, and I prefer them.
On my buddy's '69 Nova, I used the 8.8" spring plates, but I made a new upper crossmember to mount the top of the shocks, so it would work with a stock Ford spring plate. I welded it between the frame rails, and had plates off the side of the crossmember, so we used single stud shocks on top, and an eye on the bottom. The single stud goes through the plate, and the nut is installed inside the trunk. We went to Monroe's web site as they have complete listings for various shock lengths, end styles, travel, etc. Just found a pair of shocks that fit the end eye type, and length, and used the part number they listed to purchase them.

Old 03-24-2015, 10:38 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Thank you! My brain wasn't hitting on the word perch for the springs. I found a set at Summit for Chevy that should let me use the original shock mounting plate as well.

Old 03-25-2015, 10:05 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Using the stock plate doesn't mean it needs to be a stock type perch. The stock plates used a combination of U bolt and T bolts. Many guys swap them for two U bolts, and many also swap out the stock perch for a universal style perch, as used on many earlier style cars.

They make spring perches specifically for the 3.25" tubes, but they charge huge money for them. You can open up a 3" to work, or carefully cut the old ones off with a parting wheel, and then use it in the new location easily.