Cobalt Blue 79z28

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 10:20 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

You can make a pivot ball adapter. Just make a bracket that bolts to the bellhousing and use longer bellhousing bolts to mount it. Then make it so it wraps around the side and locates over the boss for the pivot ball.
You'll need to cut a little off the Z bar so it wont bind, but it will work great. I did it on a donor engine I had for my old '67 Chevelle that wasn't drilled and tapped. Here's a picture I grabbed off the web that will show a similar adapter built to fix a similar issue:
Name:  Zbaradapter6.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  26.9 KB

Old 06-20-2012, 12:03 PM
Overdrive Member

Congratz on the transmission. I just seen pivot ball mounts and some last night.

There are slot welds around the hump. Drill the
And the hump will pop off. The hole left over can be covered with a piece from an auro car. Take a trip up here and I'll show you a couple yards where you can get parts. Then zip screw the hump down. That way you can go back to the hump later.

Old 06-20-2012, 12:54 PM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1971BB427
You can make a pivot ball adapter. Just make a bracket that bolts to the bellhousing and use longer bellhousing bolts to mount it. Then make it so it wraps around the side and locates over the boss for the pivot ball.
You'll need to cut a little off the Z bar so it wont bind, but it will work great. I did it on a donor engine I had for my old '67 Chevelle that wasn't drilled and tapped. Here's a picture I grabbed off the web that will show a similar adapter built to fix a similar issue:
thx val for that great idea,i knew there had to be a way of doing it,really dont feel comfortable drilling into my block and this should be the perfect solution.thx

Old 06-20-2012, 01:03 PM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 77nomad
Congratz on the transmission. I just seen pivot ball mounts and some last night.

There are slot welds around the hump. Drill the
And the hump will pop off. The hole left over can be covered with a piece from an auro car. Take a trip up here and I'll show you a couple yards where you can get parts. Then zip screw the hump down. That way you can go back to the hump later.
thx damon,yeah i seen ****ey scroggins makes an adapter but says its for the gen V, VI engines not sure if it would work with mine,maybe with some modifacations,looked pretty sturdy.

yeah i think thats what im gonna need to do with the hump,im gonna have to take a day soon and come up there would love to finally meet you but i know u been very busy with work,do u think im gonna have enough clearance to run that stock hood,would hate to paint it all blue then it doesnt work out.more than likely im just gonna keep it an auto for awhile.but want the option to change it later if needed like u said.around here theres not a junk yard for miles that has any second gen parts.

Old 06-21-2012, 06:23 PM
Overdrive Member

Not sure about the hood. I doubt it. Most anything taller than a Performer RPM are too much. So guys use the super small 2"x 10" air cleaner. Thats like breathing through a straw to me besides how dorky they look. The triangle ones with the foam element can catch on fire if you have a back fire. I won't ever run one of those. I have a good drop base I got on Ebay for 60 bucks. It is spun aluminum and has the biggest drop of any I've seen. That may work for you.

My set up was I think 11.5" to the top of the air cleaner to the bottom of the intake. My stealth ram is about 10" and it is about flush with the cowl. Measure up from the bottom of you intake to a level laid from your cowl over the motor. More the 10-11" and its over.

Old 06-22-2012, 03:10 PM
1st Gear Member

I think the paint is looking really good. Nice and even glitter, and looks fuzzy smooth. Just throw some clear when your done and it will look great.

Old 06-22-2012, 03:12 PM
3rd Gear Member

yeah i ran one of those triangular edelbrok ones on my chevelle for years before i heard about them catching on fire,i have one of those holley 10 inch X 2 inch aircleaners i can install just to see how much more clearance i have but i wouldnt run that on my engine,was thinking about one of them blue k&n extreme air filters with a 2 inch drop base the one that has a filter top too.not sure if i can get away with that much of a drop base with my throttle cable bracket.

Old 06-22-2012, 03:17 PM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ZL1CAMARO
I think the paint is looking really good. Nice and even glitter, and looks fuzzy smooth. Just throw some clear when your done and it will look great.
thx ZL1 camaro i appreciate it,i have 2 coats of clear on the shell right now,but once its all painted and put together im gonna sand clear with 1000 grit then apply 2 more coats to make it smooth as glass,then will probably color sand it down to 2500 grit and buff it.

Old 06-22-2012, 11:05 PM
Overdrive Member

The K+N lid is the same deal as the Eddy. Plus I hear they disturb air flow. Again its what I've heard not know.

Old 06-23-2012, 03:19 AM
3rd Gear Member

yeah maybe i wont be getting one of the,never thought of that but makes sense with the element over the carb that it could catch on fire,just never thought of it,always before i just ran a cheap paper element and a generic chrome air cleaner never seen any performance diffrence than an expensive k&n actually heard with the k&n u loose power,not sure if its true or not.

Quick Reply: Cobalt Blue 79z28