1980 Z28 project thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 07:09 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Wish I could find high heat paint in cans that I could brush on! On things like suspension and brake parts I would much prefer brushing it on, as it gives a much better coating in just one application. Lasts longer too.

Old 03-27-2010, 07:21 PM
ATM
3rd Gear Member

I think Menards had it like that, I could be wrong though, next time I go in there I'll go back to the paint department and check. I think it was by like the John Deere paint and stuff.

Old 03-27-2010, 08:33 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Well we haven't got Menards here, so I'd still need to find someplace. I did find something called Thurmalox stove paint in quarts! I just need to see who has it now. Colors are limited, unlike automotive high heat, but I'd want black anyway.

Last edited by 1971BB427; 03-27-2010 at 08:36 PM.
Old 03-27-2010, 08:39 PM
July 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by 1971BB427
You're really gettin with that project Joe! Ideas for the headers....like maybe ceramic coating, or powder coating? I'd go with ceramic coating if it's in the budget, other wise I'd just sandblast or wire brush them and paint them satin black with high heat paint.
Another suggestion! While you've got the car this far apart I'd pull the heater housing and remove the heater core to either replace (under $50) or inspect it closely and reinstall if it looks pretty new. It's an all day job once you've got everything assembled again.
Wish somebody here had a oval master cylinder! I see your's is rectangle. I changed mine out and it's square on one end, and round on the other. I've got a good oval chrome cover for an early 2nd gen I'd love to give to someone who could use it!

Originally Posted by ATM
Sandblast those headers. You can get high temp primer and high temp paint in a bunch of colors. I have a darker silver and a lighter silver so far for my brake calipers and rotors and drums that I plan on painting coming up here.
thanks, whenever i get any time at all i go to her lol

the headers are already ceramic coated but they look bad, i was just wondering if i could give them a light sand and salvage the ceramic? and what colour will go good with the orange motor? i was thinking white, to break up all the black a bit? but i would like to see it first and i cant find one on the net. prob just end up going black.

Old 03-27-2010, 09:59 PM
1st Gear Member

i white headers would look great and deffinately be different which is always a good thing and i think since ur doing the car black and green that a green motor with lots of chrome and green headers would look even better but thats just a lil too late. but i like orange motors they give it that old school look and congrats on all the progress and i thinkits really gonna be something to be proud of

Old 03-27-2010, 10:18 PM
Banned
Location: Raised in Tilton NH now residing in Kings Mountain KY

I've read that if the coating is not too far gone you can wet sand with 1500 grit and then hit them with a good metal polish. If the coating is shot blast and paint. As far as painting my car I'll be saving up for that next year. I've got a driver this year and I'm not parting with it. Even if it does look like an old patch work quilt. LOL

Old 03-27-2010, 11:42 PM
July 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by heartbeat_jr
i white headers would look great and deffinately be different which is always a good thing and i think since ur doing the car black and green that a green motor with lots of chrome and green headers would look even better but thats just a lil too late. but i like orange motors they give it that old school look and congrats on all the progress and i thinkits really gonna be something to be proud of
Hey thanks
yeah white i think would look good to, i thaught about painting the motor green but i didnt want to wait so i baught the Chevy orange for it

BTW i like the scoop you have

Old 03-27-2010, 11:44 PM
July 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Pablo63
I've read that if the coating is not too far gone you can wet sand with 1500 grit and then hit them with a good metal polish. If the coating is shot blast and paint. As far as painting my car I'll be saving up for that next year. I've got a driver this year and I'm not parting with it. Even if it does look like an old patch work quilt. LOL
Cool, thanks

I still think it looks good, don't need to look fancy when it sounds like that lol.

Old 03-28-2010, 11:48 AM
1st Gear Member

thanks i appreciate it oh and by the way i just wanted o let u know camarocentral.com has got a badass billet grille for our cars i got both for cheaper than it is to replace to replace top and bottom grille in the black plastic and these are much stronger billet alluminum
here they are

http://www.camarocentral.com/product_p/gri-757.htm

Old 03-28-2010, 01:05 PM
July 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

hey they look pretty sweet thanks for the link

i already have my grills though and a extra set, i wouldnt mind finding a green emblum for the grill though (i found some but not the shade i want).

Quick Reply: 1980 Z28 project thread