1973 Z28 project rusty gold.

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2011, 09:27 PM
Overdrive Member

I was going to say what Vall already did. Run some scrap diagonal in the door openings. Maybe one diagonal between the two of those. The trunk too. No such thing as overkill here.

Old 12-31-2011, 01:04 PM
2nd Gear member

Here's what I had planned out for supports so far for when I'm gonna cut out the rails and do body work, Let me know what you guys think if I need more or less. Name:  055-2.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  95.7 KB
Name:  056-2.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  124.8 KB
Name:  045-3.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  100.5 KB
Name:  052-3.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  134.6 KB
I'm gonna have the old spring shackle removed when I get the new mount made and put in I just wanted that in there for reference as to what I ment in my last post.

Old 12-31-2011, 05:20 PM
3rd Gear Member

looking good,im watching this,its gonna be sweet when u get it done.thought about installing one of them on my camaro.

Old 01-01-2012, 12:40 PM
3rd Gear Member

happy new year wish u luck on ur 4link install in the new year.

Old 01-01-2012, 08:52 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

The bracing inside looks good, but you might want to brace from the roof joint on each side sail panel to the opposite lower floor in the same "X" pattern. Not sure I'd personally leave the frame rails that have the factory spring perches in them, except that portion that's behind the wheelwells. If you leave that rear frame in place it will really hinder the ability of the new 4 link to allow much wider rear tires to fit inside the rear tubs. I'd probably remove all the old rear frame and build floors from scratch.
I would consider getting some 2" square box tubing and build out the frame to make the floor supports and attachment points out closer to the edge of the body. That will make a nice strong floor to attch sheetmetal to, and also allow a good base to connect the body to the frame.
Take a peek at the link I've added here. This is a local guy who's building a custom frame under a ****** PU gasser. Look at the supports he's using to brace the rotted old cab, and also the tabs he's welded on the frame to mount the body to. Once he's got all the rust repaired he'll be welding mounting points on the body to bolt to those tabs. There's a lot of good info at the HAMB forum for advanced builds. Some of these guys are way beyond my skill level, but good to learn what can be applied to a project like your Camaro:
My '40 ****** pickup build - THE H.A.M.B.

Here's a really advanced builder. Langy has crazy build talent!:
Hot Rods My ****** Coupe build - THE H.A.M.B.

Old 01-03-2012, 08:25 PM
2nd Gear member

Well I got some bushings today for the back end of the body also got insurance and tags for the girlfriends car, tomorrow I'm gonna try for getting to the bank and maybe the metal place if I can on lunch break.
Sucks I've gotta get $250 worth of school books for next week so this and next paycheck are going to that, gas and the metal I need. I'm hoping I can get everything I need from the metal place for under $40 whats lame is that for the same amount of money I could get twice as much metal from the places in oklahoma this town is such a rip off it's just retarded I brought a load of scrap in a couple months ago and the price I got for brass was less then half of what my brother was getting back home at the time, they're such a rip off here people are literally hauling their scrap to rapid city, south dakota (2 hours away) and denver, colorado (8 hours away) and they're making more then three times what they would get here with their gas cost included. Rant over but seriously this town sucks and just because it's a mining town everyone thinks they need to screw everyone in the ***.

Old 01-03-2012, 10:14 PM
Banned

I hear ya round here everyone is tryin to get their piece of oil pie! I wont even try to buy local anymore cuz you take it in the shorts everytime

Old 01-03-2012, 10:50 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Don't restrict yourself to buying metal new from the local dealer. You might check to see if salvage yards or any local ranchers have some scrap steel that is close to what you need. I try to buy much of my steel from the scrapyard, and only buy new when it has to be a certain thing.
My local metal yard also has ends and remnants by the pound that are much cheaper. I can get a lot of small remnants for braces, brackets, etc. for pennies, vs. buying full pieces and cutting them up. Ask your metal seller if they have a remnants bin, or salvage bin.

Old 01-03-2012, 11:32 PM
3rd Gear Member

val thats a good idea i never thought of that im gonna check that myself,scrap yard is only 5 minutes from my house,thx for the savings tip,was gonna buy it at the local home depot,bet thats much cheaper.

Old 01-03-2012, 11:54 PM
2nd Gear member

Scrap yard is where I get my metal from and they do have a bits and pieces section but last time that I got stuff from that section I still got screwed and was charged full price for a 3 foot stick of angle so what was supposed to be .75 was 6.25, I pretty much despise the place due to being ripped off 3 different times maybe I'll try a metal supply place that I had applied for back in summer might be cheaper and they were actually decent.

Quick Reply: 1973 Z28 project rusty gold.