Where to start?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 07:20 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Geawiel
We're kind of right between Medical Lake and Cheney.
Pretty close to where most of my family is from. My dad and his siblings grew up in beautiful Ruff, Wa. and most of my Wa. relatives are near Spokane. I think Ruff, Wa. is a small grain silo, and one mobile home now.

Old 08-14-2011, 10:49 PM
2nd Gear member

I would improve what you have there already. Like the interior and the body work, brakes, suspension etc. Then save the money up to put a motor and trans in it. Or you could get one to build while you are doing the other stuff. Decide for yourself an estimated budget (then expect to spend more than that), what you want to do with the car, and proceed. The list thing is a good way to start.

Old 08-15-2011, 12:48 AM
In the Staging Lanes

With this car, I might even consider even doing a crate motor drop in considering you dont have any, as greenmachine said though, youd have to save up some money for that one.

Old 08-15-2011, 10:54 AM
1st Gear Member

My girlfriend is from Medical Lake originally. I have never been out there myself, only as far east as Yakistan (Yakima). I'm in Ellensburg right now going to CWU so if you were close enough i was going to say hit me up if you needed help.

Old 08-15-2011, 11:09 AM
In the Staging Lanes

If it wasn't for the military I would have never came here but, I'm glad I did. I grew up in Florida and almost all of my family is still in the southeastern edge of the country. I can't take the heat there anymore though and I need some changes in elevation around me as well. I love the outdoors also so this is the place to be. Nothing but beach sand and a lot of nasty pine trees all over Florida, its not a pretty state at all.

I plan on buying a crate engine around tax time. Since my disability income is tax free and we have 3 kids that we can claim then we usually get a substantial tax return. I'm probably going to wait until I get at least the underside of the car taken car of first. I'm planning on working on the suspension first, then brakes (which I want to convert to disc on at least the fronts) and go from there. Once I can get it into a garage or, something close to it, then I'm going to see what I need and probably budget out system by system from there. I've already got some sites bookmarked for various parts. I think the hardest area to work on is going to be the interior just for the fact of matching it all and getting a color scheme together. I don't think I want the tan thats partially in there now. That is where the model camaros come in though. They can help me get a matching color scheme together without wasting money on something I don't like after the body coat goes on.

Last edited by Geawiel; 08-15-2011 at 11:38 AM.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:01 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Convert to disc brakes in front?? Have you looked under there yet? Nopt positive, but I'd be surprised if there wasn't discs under the front already.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:53 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I haven't had a chance to look under it yet. It still has the grass growing up under it and it would be tough to get a look under it. If it has them already then thats one less thing to have to do. Though if they are on there then they probably need replaced, which is easy enough to do.

I'm kind of learning as I go so I may not be totally sure what all the vehicle has and doesn't have. I'm going to probably pick up a Hanes manual on the first and start browsing that to get a better look at what I'm going to have to do.

Old 08-16-2011, 06:20 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Geawiel
I haven't had a chance to look under it yet. It still has the grass growing up under it and it would be tough to get a look under it. If it has them already then thats one less thing to have to do. Though if they are on there then they probably need replaced, which is easy enough to do.

I'm kind of learning as I go so I may not be totally sure what all the vehicle has and doesn't have. I'm going to probably pick up a Hanes manual on the first and start browsing that to get a better look at what I'm going to have to do.
A much better choice than a Haynes would be the Camaro restoration book. Also, here's a great reference that's free. Make sure to bookmark it for future reference:
Second Generation Camaro Owners Group - Technical Information & Restoration Guide

Old 08-17-2011, 11:05 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I'll definatly have to pick up the resto manual then. While easy to use, the Hanes manuals are generally inaccurate for a few steps or just ignore some steps all together.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:10 AM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

By the way, in the 4th picture on this thread I see you have a brake proportioning valve, and I also see disc brake splash shield, so it definitely has front discs.

Quick Reply: Where to start?