Where to mount my Monster tach, any ideas or pics?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 12:48 PM
Default Where to mount my Monster tach, any ideas or pics?

Trying to mount an Autometer Monster tach with the external shift light and am having problems finding a good solid place to mount it and still see my speedo and gas gauge. Would love to step up to in dash gauges but just cannot afford that right now. If any of you have any ideas or especially any pics of where you have your tach mounted I would really appreciate it.

Old 01-13-2012, 01:27 PM
1st Gear Member

i think it looks best right on top of the dash

Old 01-13-2012, 02:05 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

I'm planning on swapping my Autometer tach from my gasser to my Camaro. It' just too large for the little gasser, and my Sun SuperTach will look better in the gasser. I'm going to mount it to the A pillar trim by taking the trim off, mounting the tach and running the wires inside the trim, then remount the trim with the tach on it. Like the top picture Mike has above.

Old 01-13-2012, 02:12 PM
2nd Gear member

I have the same tach also. I mounted it down in front of the shifter. You can't miss that shift light.

Old 01-13-2012, 07:11 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 79stickshift
Trying to mount an Autometer Monster tach with the external shift light and am having problems finding a good solid place to mount it and still see my speedo and gas gauge. Would love to step up to in dash gauges but just cannot afford that right now. If any of you have any ideas or especially any pics of where you have your tach mounted I would really appreciate it.
Most will not like this answer but here goes... I vote for the bathroom right next to the sink. A pet prevent of mine is monster tachometers... not for the size alone but for the for the wild and useless 10,000 Rpm range. Most motors hardly see much pas5 grand. I always vote to put the tachometer in the dash.

Old 01-13-2012, 07:37 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by 5time F
Most will not like this answer but here goes... I vote for the bathroom right next to the sink. A pet prevent of mine is monster tachometers... not for the size alone but for the for the wild and useless 10,000 Rpm range. Most motors hardly see much pas5 grand. I always vote to put the tachometer in the dash.
I think the reason for the 10k tach is twofold; partly to keep cost down, as one tach can be used for numerous situations with a chip for different ranges, but same dial face. The second part is just to attract those who want to impress their peers with a 10k tach, even if their engine wont wind over 6k.
Got mine at a garage sale like NIB for $60, so it was a no brainer for me. Since both of my cars are far from stock, this tach fits right in.

Old 01-13-2012, 08:28 PM
2nd Gear member

Bathroom right next to the sink LOL....reminds me of an old GF

Old 01-13-2012, 08:48 PM
1st Gear Member

427..... I do like you. This is a nice place to sit and chat.

Old 01-13-2012, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by 5time F

Mine short shifts at 7000 and almost 7800 when I really want to twist it up tight, so an 8000 rpm tach is almost useless to me. My Camaro is not being built to be a mild daily driver, but an all out max fun car. As I stated in my orig post would love to step up to in dash gauges but it's just not in the budget right now, plus I already have the monster tach from my drag car project, which is also where the engine came, LOL!!!

Now back to the original question, does anybody else have any suggestions where they have mounted their monster tach, and pics would really be appreciated.

Old 01-14-2012, 06:09 AM
2nd Gear member

not a great pic as I was working on the dash pad. I'll take a clearer one.

Attached Thumbnails Where to mount my Monster tach, any ideas or pics?-014.jpg  

Quick Reply: Where to mount my Monster tach, any ideas or pics?