What u guys think?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 04:14 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default What u guys think?

I found these headers on Craigslist. Is this a good deal?? Are these headers any good? And last what am I suppose to look for in headers to make sure everything is all good??
Hooker Competition Headers 2452

Old 11-15-2012, 04:34 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

The major thing to look for is if they fit. Those are for full size Chevy trucks (Blazer, Pickup, Suburban), not your Camaro.

Old 11-15-2012, 11:11 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Oh alright thanks! So what size are the ones I need?

Old 11-15-2012, 11:23 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

The size of those are right. The fitment problem would be with clearance of the car itself. Things like steering boxes, linkage, frame, etc. are in different places depending on the car, or truck. Headers are made to be car model specific. The part number of the ones you were looking at tell the story of what they fit.

Old 11-16-2012, 12:29 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Are there really any serious performance gains with hooker vs flow techs. For $400 more i'd like to see serious improvement. In the end aren't they the same sized pipes?

Old 11-17-2012, 04:05 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Not all headers are made the same, but few engines know the difference, unless it's a serious race car, and you'll be running open headers. Most any header will be a huge improvement over stock manifold, but the differences after that aren't huge for a mildly built engine.
Now get into a SBC engine that's really pumping some HP and you'll want to maximize that HP with tuned equal length headers that have large primaries. Then the difference between them and cheap headers will really show.

Old 11-18-2012, 05:52 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Along with what BB427 said, Hooker's competition plus headers have the equal length primaries that get real close to things like steering shafts, etc, the competition headers aren't necessarily equal length which makes them a bit easier to install without hitting anything, another thing to watch is how close the collectors are to your floor, buy model specific headers for your year car. Less headachs. Bob

Old 11-18-2012, 07:32 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

I've also seen really expensive headers fit badly, and some cheap headers that fit great; and vice versa. It's not one of those cases where you spend more and always get a better fit. I'm afraid buying headers can be a bit of a crap shoot at times, but once you find a brand that fits well don't ever forget what brand it was!
I bought a nice set of Doug Thorley headers back in 1974 to put on my '71 Camaro, mainly because the local speed shop had them on sale. I just finally replaced them this year, as after all this time they got a hole in one collector. I was a little freaked out, as they fit so well, and gave such great access to everything, and I worried the next pair wouldn't fit the same. I ended up finding a NOS pair of Doug Thorleys at a swap meet this year, but in chrome finish. A little minor rust color to the chrome from sitting, but they fit exactly like the old ones, and boy was I happy!

Old 11-18-2012, 07:51 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I don't know if Hooker has changed their ways, but the name stood for "they fit".

Old 11-18-2012, 08:30 PM
1st Gear Member

I had a set of Hookers back in the 70's. they fit very well, no clearance problems and the workmanship was great. At least back then, it was worth spending the extra $. If I come across a deal on a set at a swap meet or Craigslist, I'll pick them up in a second. The set I have now fit well but need a good media blasting and coating so I won't replace them unless I find a good deal on Hooker Competition Plus's.

Last edited by exlimey; 11-18-2012 at 08:33 PM.

Quick Reply: What u guys think?