What stage of shift kit to use?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 08:21 PM
Default What stage of shift kit to use?

I am having my trans built and I am curious what stage of shift kit you guys are useing and if you like it. This is a street driven car, so not racing it just want to know what feels and works the best on the street? I am thinking stage 2 but I don't want it to be to hard. What do ya think?

Old 04-18-2010, 08:36 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

I personally think you should go the baddest shift kit you can find. My tranny guy told me years ago that the harder it shifts the less chance of slipping clutches and wearing them out.
I went with the Transgo full competition kit, with manual shift valve body and never regretted it. I've got over 25 yrs on the rebuild behind a big block with a lot of 1/4 mile runs, and it's still working perfectly.

Old 04-18-2010, 08:48 PM
1st Gear Member

"manual shift valve body" i was wondering how that works is that like if u put the gear selector in 2nd will the trany start out in 2nd?

Old 04-18-2010, 09:17 PM

An automatic transmission manual valve body lets you decide when to shift. Automatic transmissions normally shift, automatically, based on line pressures, vehicle speed, vehicle load and other factors which the driver has no control over. A manual valve body eliminates the automatic shifting function and puts control of gear changes in the drivers hands.

427 I am with you on getting a hard shift to save the trans and it would be cool I just don't want it to snap my neck everytime it shifts. I have never felt a competition shift kit so I am guessing. How does it feel on the street, under normal driving conditions?

Old 04-18-2010, 09:29 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by TBenner80Z28
An automatic transmission manual valve body lets you decide when to shift. Automatic transmissions normally shift, automatically, based on line pressures, vehicle speed, vehicle load and other factors which the driver has no control over. A manual valve body eliminates the automatic shifting function and puts control of gear changes in the drivers hands.

427 I am with you on getting a hard shift to save the trans and it would be cool I just don't want it to snap my neck everytime it shifts. I have never felt a competition shift kit so I am guessing. How does it feel on the street, under normal driving conditions?
It feels just fine, and it's not neck snapping unless you get into it and back off when you shift. I can honestly say the only time it really feels like it's hitting too hard is that scenario. If I'm not hitting the throttle hard it shifts milder, and if I stay with it when I shift the tires and suspension give enough to make it firm, but not harsh. The first time I backed out of it and went ahead and upshifted it banged pretty hard, but never did it accidentally again and it did no harm.

94Z28Chevy,
If I put the tranny in "D" it starts out in drive. Whatever gear I have it in, that's where it starts. It's just like a manual except no clutch. So I can sit at a light and relax my left leg all the time. The 427 has no trouble starting out in high gear, but you do notice right away that it feels sluggish if you forget to downshift. I'm running a B&M rachet shifter, so it's pretty nice for normal shifting, or just hit it for each upshift in race mode.

Old 04-18-2010, 09:30 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by 94z28chevy
"manual shift valve body" i was wondering how that works is that like if u put the gear selector in 2nd will the trany start out in 2nd?
Yes that's how it works.
TBenner, keep in mind that the harder the trans shifts, the harder it will be on the rest of the drivetrain; u-joints, rearend, axles, etc. Just make sure those parts can take the beating. A full competition shift kit will bang the gears hard, snap your neck, and screech the tires as it shifts. A shift improver kit will crisp up the shifts, but isn't as radical.

Old 04-19-2010, 06:38 AM
1st Gear Member

thats what i thougt it did cuz i was thinking getting one for my 96 camaro cuz of it not shifting at wot i have a b&m rachet shifter for it just not in it

Old 04-19-2010, 06:58 AM
Overdrive Member

The whole point of a "shift kit" is firmer shifts. Like everyone said the point is to save the clutches. I have put a b+m in every tranny I have had. Part throttle isn't too bad. But I like a good neck snapper just make sure you have a lid on your coffee.

Old 04-19-2010, 09:18 PM
In the Staging Lanes

have you ever heard of an manual/auto shift kit or somethin? like u put it in D for auto or slam it into 1 for 1st, 2, for 2nd, etc? on a th350

Old 04-19-2010, 09:56 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I think the normal valve body on a 350 lets you put it in drive and the tranny does the 123 shifts. If you put it in low you can hold 1st until the cows come home or your pistons go into low earth orbit. Same with 2nd and 3rd. Best of both worlds. I've never figured out the advantage of the manual valve body over the normal valve body with a ratchet shifter.

Quick Reply: What stage of shift kit to use?