What to Look For in a 76

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 01:16 PM
Default What to Look For in a 76

I am new to the forum and not experienced with Camaro's either. I am interested in buying a new project and have my eyes on a 76 Camaro but I do not know anything about them. Do you have any hints, tips, etc. on what to look for or stay away from on a 76?

Old 04-11-2011, 01:55 PM
Overdrive Member

In a 76, dont be fooled by some one trying to sell you a Z28 or SS, they didnt exist in that year. The top of the line model was the Type LT which usually has some power options like windows and or door locks. Type LTs usually also have tilt column and cruise control, and they can be had in 6 or 8 cyl.

As for the 2nd gens in general look out for rust in the floors, rear qtrs and trunk area. They will also rust on the dash at the front window pillers. Battery tray and inner fenders are common rusty areas too because of battery leakage. Battery trays are only like $40, easy fix.

Massey

Old 04-11-2011, 03:23 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Just to add to what Massey said. 2nd gens tend to have door sag. This will cause the window to leak. Once the window starts leaking then the floor along side the door an at the back seat floor will rot out. This was common back in the early 80’s. There used to be a lot of cars running around with some messed up patch work there. I would feel better seeing rust holes then patch work. If you see a car that has ugly patches just assume it is a complete redo. There is an area under the rear bumper that is considered structural, this ties the two frame rails together. They do tend to rust there and any repair needs to be done so it is as strong as original not just pretty.
76 was one of the years for soft Cams. I would be surprise if it has not already been replaced. If your front body mounts have not been replaced in the last 15 years they will need it. Front ends tend to sag on V8 cars. This will cause the top of the front tires to lean in. Most older front end guys will know about this but a younger guy might tell you your frame is shot and it can not be fixed. A good frame man can sort it out in less than 2 hours (about $250).

Good luck

Old 04-11-2011, 06:34 PM
In the Staging Lanes

If it has a vinyl top....CHECK IT GOOD!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-12-2011, 12:37 PM

Fantastic information. This is exactly the type of information I was looking for. Thanks a lot. I will let you know what I find or decide.