What to do with my rear end?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 03:18 PM
Default What to do with my rear end?

Hey everyone, I just signed up today and already need help.

Ive got a 79 camaro 305/TH400. Motor has some work done, mild build, new trans I just put in with a **** kit/stall.

My question is though, what should I do with my differential? Ive noticed that my axles are warped since my rims(18" Boss 338's) wobble when I spin them when the car is up on jackstands. I tried with a different set of rims and it still wobbles so its not just the rims.

Ive stopped driving it for winter so its time to work on it. What do you guys think I should do? Just buy a new set of 28 spline axles and call it a day?
Ive been wanting to put a new gear in it so should I just rebuild the whole thing? Buy a new one and just drop it in, or rebuild the one I have? Not sure what to do at his point so any help is greatly apreciated, Thanks!

Old 12-09-2010, 03:25 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Both sides are bent? You, or somebody, must have done some serious curb slamming or something.
Or, are your hubs nice and clean, and free of any crusty rusty buildup? Even a small buildup between the hub and wheel could make a noticeable difference in straightness at the outer edge of the tire.

Old 12-09-2010, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Both sides are bent? You, or somebody, must have done some serious curb slamming or something.
Or, are your hubs nice and clean, and free of any crusty rusty buildup? Even a small buildup between the hub and wheel could make a noticeable difference in straightness at the outer edge of the tire.
Now that I think of it, i only checked one side. Ill check the other side and see if the hubs have any rust etc. on them.

Thanks!

The car had some heavy chrome 20's on it for a while so maybe that was it? Always tried not to hit potholes/curbs for that reason. Not sure but ill look into the hubs.

Old 12-09-2010, 05:31 PM
In the Staging Lanes

do you have the wheels tight? I would only put in gears if the cam needs it. And its not as easy as just dropping in a gear set.

Old 12-09-2010, 08:32 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

If it turns out that your axles or housing are bent, then I'd definitely go looking for a complete rearend with the right gears and posi to buy. Way cheaper to buy a whole rear than to have your's rebuilt.

Old 12-09-2010, 11:30 PM
1st Gear Member

It cost me about $940 to have my rear end completely rebuilt. However, my rear end housing, axle tubes, axles, backing plates and the rest of my rear brake system were in good shape. I wanted to replace the flexible brake hose and both steel brake lines while I had the rear end out of the car.

I paid $500 for a Yukon Duragrip posi unit/carrier and a complete installation kit which came with all new bearings, seals, a crush sleeve, marking compound and a cover gasket. I bought a Summit 3.42 gear set for about $170 with shipping. The guy that rebuilt it charged me $200 and gave me a 4 oz. bottle of GM friction modifier. And about $65 or so for gear oil, a new flexible brake hose, two new steel brake lines, a new breather/vent, two cans of Dupli-Color 500° Engine Paint, a can of gray primer and a can of semi-gloss black.

There is a guy about an hour away from me in Seneca Falls, NY named John Givo. He usually posts on the Rochester, NY Craig's List and Swap Sheet. He rebuilds rear ends that are dropped off to him needing rebuilds. He also sells rear ends he supplies and completely rebuilds. As well as sells parts and accessories for most rear ends. He does very good work. I bought a rebuilt factory 3 series posi/carrier for my 8.5" 10 bolt from back in '94 or '95. I also bought a completely rebuilt 8.8" Ford rear end from him to put in my '85 Mustang GT back in '97. Last I knew, he wanted about $1250 for a completely rebuilt from "brake drum to brake drum" 8.5" 10 bolt rear end for 2nd Gen. Camaro's/Firebird's. Pretty much any gear ratios you want. 2.73, 3.08, 3.23, 3,42, 3.70, 3.73, 3.90, 4.10, 4.30, 4.56, 4.88, 5.13, 5.38 and 5.57. HERE is one of Givo's adds.

Other then buying a complete rear end from Moser, Strange or Currie. I'd feel just as comfortable having Mike at Dynamic Performance who just rebuilt my current 8.5" 10 bolt rear end or have John Givo rebuild mine or buy another complete rear end from him again. Both guys do GREAT work!

I know how to get ahold of both of them.