What did you do to your camaro today

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 11:52 AM
Overdrive Member

I won't laugh. The quote is true. My dad taught me metal finishing and thats what I did for a LONG time before he told me to get out of it or else he'd kick my ****. What does it have to do with blasting? It generates WAY more silica dust, we hardly ever wore masks. They were a luxury at most shops I worked in. Dad has 45 years buffing and polishing under his belt. He has a hacking cough that would kill a lesser man, smokes like a chimney too. Anyhow. I GET IT.

I blast out doors ALWAYS. Not a big help but... I try to were a mask as much as possible, my hood doesn't do much because the shield is broke. I have a 3M mask for painting I haven't thought of using it while blasting until just now.

Old 05-13-2011, 05:54 PM
1st Gear Member

ya, I believe it. I have been metal working for around 6 or 7 years and just like that aluminum oxide and aluminum dust is horrible for your lungs. So any time your cutting, sanding or anything like that with aluminum it would be a good idea to wear a mask.

Old 05-13-2011, 10:17 PM
In the Staging Lanes

first things first that 150lbs of play sand i have in the garage will be going into an aquarium instead of in the blaster! i originally bought for that purpose any way.
broke out the grinder today and took care of my 2 stubborn bolts that means fenders and inners are sitting on the other side of the garage. tomorrow is bumper bolts.
Dave

Old 05-13-2011, 10:53 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Got my "special use" plates from the state today, so the Camaro is licensed forever now, and only $82 one time purchase! Took the car for a little drive as the weather was fantastic!
Also went to my neighbor's to help figure out why his '48 Austin has so much play in the steering. We discovered the bearing at the end of the GM tilt steering column had disintegrated and all the pieces fell out! Too bad, cause it now involves dropping the steering box and double D joint to remove and replace it. That means he wont be driving to the cruise tomorrow, and has to ride with me.
We were hoping to have both of our gassers together in the cruise, but it will have to wait another week!

Old 05-14-2011, 05:37 AM
ATM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Pablo63
That stuff is very bad for you. I remember reading about it so I googled it and here is just one of many quotes that came up.

"That's saying it MUCH too mildly! A dust mask is NOT good enough, not by a long shot! The problem with play sand and landscaping/mortar sand is the free silica which WILL cause Silicosis, (miner's disease, black lung) not CAN cause it! Even one time of heavy exposure can do serious damage and even a light exposure will do some damage. It is cumulative so EVERY time you get exposure, no mater how small, it will do permanent damage and it does not take a lot to put you in a world of hurt. I have sat through those safety training films and seeing just how bad this stuff is it makes me wonder how anyone can safely use it at all, far better to use the purpose blast media that does not contain Silica such as Black Beauty, etc. Sand is not normally that much of a problem but when you put it in that blaster the Silica will be released and it becomes dangerous indeed, if anyone thinks I am over doing the dangers here then do a little research because it is that bad!

To quote one professional blaster "Sand Kills!" it is as simple as that."
I've been to safety courses for work on this topic. It is that bad. AND, I'm pretty sure it can be absorbed through the skin too.

Old 05-14-2011, 11:07 PM
In the Staging Lanes

got PITA bumper bolts out today and the rad support as well. can't do much more up front till my cherry picker comes back from PA next month so i'm thinking rear bumper tailights and the like next.
Dave

Old 05-15-2011, 07:32 AM
Overdrive Member

Spiff I have family in Mouth of Wilson. At least I think, unless theres a Mouth of something else down there.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:51 PM
In the Staging Lanes

77nomad that's quite possible because i don't know of any other mouth of anything town wise around here if it the middle of nowhere it's probly here. lol.
took some pics tonight gonna try and post them tomorrow that's about it.
Dave

Old 05-17-2011, 03:55 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I got her out and Put the new plates on her. i finally got around to installing the Grant steering wheel. Then it was dinner and a movie with the wife. She loves my car almost as much as I do. The bad thing is, now she wants to drive

Old 05-17-2011, 04:23 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Potterboy
I got her out and Put the new plates on her. i finally got around to installing the Grant steering wheel. Then it was dinner and a movie with the wife. She loves my car almost as much as I do. The bad thing is, now she wants to drive
Not enough engine if she still wants to drive it! Make it obnoxious enough and she wont like driving it! Last time my wife wanted to drive the Camaro was 1975. Took one try for her to say she'd never drive it again!
Took me one ride in the gasser to say she'll never ride in it, let alone drive it!

Quick Reply: What did you do to your camaro today