Vin tampering or Semantics

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 01:59 PM
Default Vin tampering or Semantics

I have an oppertunity to buy a 1969 Camaro RS Convertible. The body however needs every panal replaced, especially floor pans and complete trunk pan.(also has no top or any hardware to said top, no trunk pan or gas tank. just a rusted shell but an authentic RS convertible. Engine however is there .

NOW the question. Is their a percentage of parts, body, or whatever that has to be orignal for the car to have that vin. If I replace all that needs to be replaced it will almost be a new body shell. What if later the parts that are still orignal rust and I replace them, and the only part (body part) that is left orignal is the vin tag or small area around that. I could replace everything around the vin tag or just replace the vin tag on a new body. What is the line and how is it decided. Vin tampering, "yes", but it seems like semantics. Is there a percentage and at what point do you cross the line and at what point is it vin tampering. I have seen many Resto-mods with more modern hardwear and sheet metal than you can count. Yet these cars still retain that orignal vin or registration.

Thanks.
PS Just not looking foward to that many torch hours in the shop.

Old 08-03-2006, 03:52 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: Vin tampering or Semantics

I think the VIN has to stay with the body. If you take the VIN off and put in onto another body with an existing VIN, then that's wrong. However, now that Classic Industries is selling the complete body, I don't see the harm with putting that VIN on there. From my understanding, it's a GM tool. But, you would also want to put on the trim tag and such.

Still, if you were to sell it, then I'd think you would have to tell the buyer that it's a new shell. I really don't see the difference between an OER hood and an OER body, but I'm sure someone does.

Disclaimer: I offer no legal advice, only opinions.