valve tick

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 04:40 PM
1st Gear Member
Default valve tick

can i just pop the valve covers off and tighten up the nuts to the rocker thats tickin...or is there more too it or do i neeed a special tool or anything...thx

also..is it ok to drive it with it ticking alittle cuz i gotta go to work and if ic ant drive it i gotta get ahold of a freind or somthin

Old 10-09-2007, 06:46 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default RE: valve tick

You can try tightening a little less than a eigth turn if it is wear that should pick it up if not an investigation is in order. Its alot easier to get a ride than rebuild an engine. Sometimes a exhaust gasket can sound like a ticking noise I would look there first.

Old 10-09-2007, 09:44 PM
1st Gear Member

sorry just got home from work...and i got a ride just to be sure.....but the motor was just rebuilt so i dnt think tis wear but my dad said that fresh motors after a couple runs or so you need to go over the valve train again cuz everything is setteling in to the way the motor runs..but idk ill look int it tomarrow

Old 10-10-2007, 01:24 AM
1st Gear Member

you can pull the valve cover off and look at the valves with the motor turning over, turn it over by hand becuase you won't be able to see it when someone is turning the key to start it, just stick a socket on the crank and turn, look at the valves, you are going to need both valve covers off when you do this, rotate it and look for the valves to be moving in the same direction at the same time, and then adjust the one that is the farthest from it on the other side of the motor, or an easier and cheating way to do it is to turn the motor over with the socket, and only turn it like a quarter of a turn at a time and play with each individual rocker at a time and see if it is loose, you want them to be loose but not to loose, enough so that it won't jump back and forth, see how that does, you should have some luck with that.

Old 10-13-2007, 05:36 PM
3rd Gear Member

How did it turn out did adjusting solve the problem?

Old 10-13-2007, 10:31 PM

mope idk what it it...i went over all of the rockers and a couple needs alittle tighting cuz they were slappin alittle....but i adjusted them all and it still ticking...its really bugging me....its nt like a knok or anything like unless i tell some1 its their they cant hear it but it drives me nuts....when i pop the hood it almost soudned like it was coming from the waterpump or the front of the motor??...idk im out of money and gas anyway so its just sittin there for the moment...thx

Old 10-13-2007, 10:34 PM
1st Gear Member

sorry that other thing...350crate is mke....i made it like a million years ago when i first found the site anf forgot about ti and i got on it to see if i rememberd the pass and to see what lame stuff i asked.......forgot i was on it....sorry

Old 10-15-2007, 09:34 PM
1st Gear Member

hey whats up, since you didn't figure out the problem yet, and it wasn't what i recommended, it could be a bad lifter, either that or check your fan, if could be hitting the shroud, but thats all that i can think of it being, unless you already figured it out.

Old 10-15-2007, 09:57 PM
February 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I once had a fuel pump spring break. Pissed me off big time until I figured out where the tick was coming from.
Rare, but possible.

Old 10-15-2007, 11:42 PM
3rd Gear Member

My main concern is that the cam didnt break in correctly and it is chewing on the lifters I went through is this year I think some of the cam and lifters out there are junk but thats just my opinion. Several things you can do just to check first drain the oil check it for metal you can take a small magnet and put it through the oil drain hole and see if it picks up anything next dump some of the oil out of the filter drain the rest through a coffee filter or something normally you will see it there but if not cut open the filter with tin snips and unravel the paper and check for larger particals also look in the bottom of the filter it will lay in there. Being its a new breakin you will have some fine metal in the oil anthing that feels gritty in your fingers is cause for concern. This is a hydraulic flat tappit cam ? What is your adjustment proceedure? Beyond this I would start by eliminating the obvious take the belts off it start it and see if it still makes the noise just dont let it get to hot it sould only take you a couple of minutes. Also check the header gaskets it can be deceiving sometimes.

Quick Reply: valve tick