Value of a 69 SS Clone

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 01:56 PM
Default Value of a 69 SS Clone

Hey, my step-dad walked past a guys garage last week and saw this 69 Camaro and offered the guy $15,000 for it assuming it was a real SS. Well he picked it up and is driving it back, here is what I know. It's a 350, 4spd, with drum brakes, and a 10-bolt rear, with SS badges. Supposedly in really good condtition(whatever that means). I'll try to find out more, but he wants to know what the real value of this car is. Thanks for any info you can provide, NADA is not very accurate and eBay has no 350 clones that I can find.

Old 09-05-2006, 02:00 PM
Default RE: Value of a 69 SS Clone

Just found out it's blue, but that's not the original color and he doesn't know the original color. It also has a cowl-induction hood.

Old 09-05-2006, 11:40 PM
In the Staging Lanes

The value is apparently $15,000. Not trying to be a smart-alek but that's what the value is for that car because someone paid that amount for it. If the buyer is happy with the car then he paid just the right amount.

Old 09-06-2006, 02:33 AM

I completely understand you, but he bought it thinking it was a real SS, so that was his perceived value if it was an SS, but now that he knows it's not, he wants to see what market value is. NADA tells him he's golden, but that isn't very accurate and I don't see any 350's on eBay. But I have seen the car now, it really is in good shape, the interior is flawless, looks new, but has an aftermarket tach, the paint is a 6/10 I'd say. Not a bad car.

Old 09-06-2006, 03:07 AM
3rd Gear Member

A real nice '69 Camaro for $15K. It's a decent deal Real SS or not.

Old 09-06-2006, 10:36 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Gotcha. It could certainly fetch $15,000 wether it's an SS or not. Lots of pictures would help. If "refrigerator" magnets stick to the trouble spots and the car is straight, super clean, the engine bay's dry, it drives out nice, etc., it could certainly be worth the price he paid. If it was a true SS that was in real good shape he would have gotten a bargain.

Old 09-07-2006, 12:53 PM

Thanks for the help guys, I can get pics on Saturday as that will be the next time I see it.

Old 11-06-2021, 02:52 PM
In the Staging Lanes

It isnt a real SS for $15k IMO. You only need to check the VIN to find out, but just in case the VIN is stamped on the frame also. I don't know where.
The 69 SS is one of the most desirable cars on the market. I have seen utter wrecks go for more. A lot more.
So: he probably liked your dad. He wanted to pass it on. If it is real he probably didn't want it going to a place that would molest it. Usually 69 SS car's have a 396 BB. There are two different 350 motors. One is a low compression 2 bbl and the other is a high compression 4 bbl. I think he did well. Replacing the 396 with a crate 350 was a common practice when 200,000 of them were around. Somebody blew up the 396 and they dropped in a 350. This is all speculation
The SS would have had front disc brakes. IMO. Please keep us informed. A real SS is a steal at $15k. Especially a running survivor. You gotta check the rust. EVERYWHERE!!!!

Last edited by CamroChris; 11-06-2021 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 11-07-2021, 01:31 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by CamroChris
It isnt a real SS for $15k IMO. You only need to check the VIN to find out, but just in case the VIN is stamped on the frame also. I don't know where.
The 69 SS is one of the most desirable cars on the market. I have seen utter wrecks go for more. A lot more.
So: he probably liked your dad. He wanted to pass it on. If it is real he probably didn't want it going to a place that would molest it. Usually 69 SS car's have a 396 BB. There are two different 350 motors. One is a low compression 2 bbl and the other is a high compression 4 bbl. I think he did well. Replacing the 396 with a crate 350 was a common practice when 200,000 of them were around. Somebody blew up the 396 and they dropped in a 350. This is all speculation
The SS would have had front disc brakes. IMO. Please keep us informed. A real SS is a steal at $15k. Especially a running survivor. You gotta check the rust. EVERYWHERE!!!!
This is a camaro based website so we cannot have bad information on camaros history posted here without a correction.

Vin number will not tell if the car is a true SS, There is no way to prove 100% a car is a true SS. Everything can be faked. There are many ways to prove a car is not a true SS. Example if the rear in the above car is numbers matching then it most likely not an SS. The best way to buy a true SS or Z28 is to buy a car with a known history going back to the original owner and picture from back in the day.

Most SS camaros sold in 1969 are L48 "350". Out of the 34,000 SS sold 23,000 ish where 350 cars. The lower compression 350 would not have come in a SS.

To the original poster: there are a lot of guys out the who have spent more than 15k just to get a solid body. Assuming it is a clone the value will be directly related to the condition of the car and the quality of the repairs and the parts used to build it. Assuming the car is not held together by fiberglass and bondo 15K is about as low as it goes for a complete car. With it topping out in the 30K area for a car that looks near prefect on the top and the underneath. just IMO.

The SS package did not include disk brakes. They were an option that could be ordered on any camaro J52. They were part of the Z28 package.

Old 11-08-2021, 05:17 AM
4th Gear Member

Good suggestions given.
SS models, since they had dual exhaust, will have a plate welded to frame structure behind drvr side rear wheel for the purpose of providing more support for the exhaust piping.

Quick Reply: Value of a 69 SS Clone