ttops

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 11:39 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default ttops

Has anybody ttop'd their camaro obviously someone has haha what are the steps to doing it or is their any shops that do it I'm from nh so probably not in my area

Old 06-05-2010, 12:31 PM
Overdrive Member

ooowww This is a tuffy. Have you got any previous bodywork, welding, and fabricatings experiance? Can it be done? Yes it is done quite often. There is a whole lot of work involved. The easiest way is to cut the top off a t top car and weld it on yours. You would have to brace the hell out of the car before removing the top. And you better be able to wield a tape measure like Ty Pennington.

Old 06-05-2010, 01:13 PM
July 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

^^ LOL

I had a t-top to put on my 80 and i just gave it away to my cousin, i guess he's ballsy enough not to get it professionally done lol, just too much work i found and not in mt budget to get a pro job.

Old 06-05-2010, 02:32 PM
2nd Gear member

Why wouldnt you just by a t-top car.

I would much rather move an interior, engine/tranny, subframe and rear end then pay someone to add t-tops.

You could move everything in a long weekend and be a lot better off.

Old 06-05-2010, 06:39 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by gfrench
Why wouldnt you just by a t-top car.

I would much rather move an interior, engine/tranny, subframe and rear end then pay someone to add t-tops.

You could move everything in a long weekend and be a lot better off.
I'd second that advice heartily!

Old 06-05-2010, 07:59 PM
In the Staging Lanes

The car was me and my grandfathers project he gave it to me and we barely had it deconstructed and he passed away so the car holds a lot of sentimental value to me so that's why I didn't buy a ttop d one me and him talked about how we wanted it finished and we both wanted to put ttops on he was the big car guy I love cars but I don't know a whole lot about them and I love ths car and wanna finish it for him ya know and I can't sell it it holds to much value to just buy a dif one

Old 06-05-2010, 08:04 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I mean don't get me wrong I know a lot about cars but not when it comes to like regearing the axle or how to hook the motor up completly and I know nothing about the wirng to the car

Old 06-05-2010, 08:10 PM
Overdrive Member

Understood, but I would build it the way it is. My grandfather just died Monday so I know how that can weigh on things. It would be hell to convert one. Unless Chip Foose is a close family friend. How would you feel if you cut the top off the car THEN realized you were over your head and now you can't fix it,can't drive it,and can't find a body shop that will touch it because it has no top for cryin out loud. Just tryin to save you some heartache and dispair. It can be plenty challenging just stripping one down and getting good paint on it. Most importantly if it goes bad it could turn you off of cars all together.

Old 06-05-2010, 08:16 PM
In the Staging Lanes

That's a good point haha I just thought you know t tops are siiick and I'm sure its really nice to drive wit the tops of yu know but that's tru if I ruin it id be crushed I guess ill keep the hardtop I like the way hardtop looks too obviously haha I looove my camaro

Old 06-05-2010, 10:32 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Good idea. Better a nice car that's done to remember your grandfather, than a ruined car to remember him.

Quick Reply: ttops