Troubleshooting help please?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 07:14 PM
3rd Gear Member

After spending all day working on this, I've gotten nowhere. I did notice however that when I connect the meter like nomad advised I start with a reading of 0.44 ma and it slowly goes down to 0.33 ma and holds there. That's a pretty big draw? I've pulled all the fuses and it doesn't change. When I disconnect the alternator is goes down to 0.32ma?

Old 07-21-2011, 01:54 AM
Overdrive Member

Is there a clock or modern radio? Thats not a huge draw in my opinion. Make sure your on the right scale though please. I've see it in school, alot.

I guess I never really figured out if you were having hard start issues or if you would have a dead battery after sitting over night.

Were at in Mich.?

Old 07-21-2011, 10:04 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

That makes me suspicious of the starter solenoid. Might be some contamination inside it that is a high resistance short to ground. Have you still got the old solenoid, or is it newer? You could pull the battery terminal off the starter and connect the battery terminal to the wire feeding the fuse block. Then if the draw goes away it will tell you it was in the solenoid.

Old 07-21-2011, 11:15 AM
3rd Gear Member

Still has the factory 8 track player and only clock is the factory analog on the dash that doesn't work. There are no aftermarket guages or anything else hooked up, doesn't even have the dome light hooked up. I'm pretty sure I'm reading this meter right, have it set on the DC 10a and consistently get those readings. Again,not the best at using the multimeter and I know they're all a bit different. I attached a picture of the meter to hopefully verify. I've watched a few youtube videos to make sure (not the best source I know) but I'm confident I'm doing it right.

If I leave the cable off, it holds a charge but if I leave it on it does drain and goes dead. I am over in Petoskey by the way.

BB427 it's a newer starter but I'll definitely try what you said. There's not much else I haven't tried! Thanks again gentlemen.

Attached Thumbnails Troubleshooting help please?-07-21-11_1114.jpg  
Old 07-21-2011, 12:30 PM
Overdrive Member

Looks like it has just the one scale. 10A is the max current that can be run through it. Your fine there. Mine is digital so I can move the decimal as needed. Just making sure that wasn't casing you trouble.

It just seams like .4mA wouldn't drain a battery. If you left the radio on over night thats different, those are like 5-10A?

Old 07-21-2011, 02:46 PM
3rd Gear Member

My meter is definitely not one of the better ones, but appreciate knowing it's set right. I'm going to put a new alternator on it just to see and try disconnecting the starter cable like BB427 mentioned. This needs to be done real soon. Appreciate the help sincerely.

Old 07-21-2011, 03:32 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

You'll get it, but some times these electrical gremlins can really give a guy fits.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:30 PM
3rd Gear Member

Couple of "NEW" questions: I'll find out in the morning if i've solved anything or not. After putting the wires back on the starter I've got the multimeter reading down to .30. However, I've noticed now that when I start the car, the heater blower starts running on low/medium and it's turned off? Don't think this is the drain of course as it's key activated but how do I fix this? Also, tonight when I started the car I now get a squeaking from one of the belts/pulleys or fan clutch? Don't think it's the fan clutch but not positive. Strange though, only squaks when I turn on the headlights? That has me thinking it's the alternator but I can't pinpoint it yet. This thing just keeps getting more and more interesting.
**side note** Got my 327 coming the beginning of next week! I've just got to get some new heads for it...Has some ported and polished truck heads but 194's and I want a bit bigger, and aluminum. I just don't want to have this battery drain problem resurrecting when the new motor gets put in....

Old 07-23-2011, 02:24 AM
Overdrive Member

Sounds like the alt is going. Back when I was into car stereos. If I put a true 500watt RMS amp in the trunk. Every time the bass hit the alt. would start howling. The fix was different than yours but it pointed out the alt. couldn't handle it.

Have you tried pulling the POS. cable of the battery while the car is running? It should stay running if the alternator is good.

Old 07-23-2011, 09:35 AM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

And the blower running probably indicates your car has AC. On a recent post another member said the AC car blowers run all the time, as they need it to circulate air. The switch just changes speed of the blower.

Quick Reply: Troubleshooting help please?