Transmission help

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 09:38 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Transmission help

So I've been just stumped on what's wrong with my transmission. But here is a little background. Also, I am new to this level of repair, I had a jeep that I worked on, but nothing this in depth...

Anyways, I bought my 78 with a 4 speed Saginaw and a 350 motor with a "warped clutch plate", knowing I would eventually need to replace it. Brought it 100 miles to my school apartment. Got new tires and brought it 40 miles to my parents house (they had the tools then). Clutch gave way the last 3 miles and literally coasted home.

Took the transmission off and was astonished on how I drove it to begin with. There was only half the clutch there...

Anyways, I got a new flywheel and clutch; put the rest of my drive train together. Everything went back nicely, got the transmission in without using the bellhouse bolts etc etc.

Now here is my current problem. I initially put the shifter on without properly aligning it, so I never shifted. It sat for 6 weeks while I had the massive lab reports/finals to do. Christmas break I start to trouble shoot it.

Took the shifter off, but dislocated the shifter bar. I finally worked it back to the correct position and put the shifter back on. This time I adjusted the shifter linkages, but the shifter still wasn't shifting right. Noticed when i was unbolting the linkages, the transmission shifted, even though the clutch pedal was not pressed (disconnected, actually). While trying to troubleshoot today, I noticed, the middle shift hole would not budge at all. Turned the reverse shift hole and then it would move. Everytime I tightened the reverse rod, it shifts in gear, locking up my shifter.

Questions:

1. Is it a problem that I can change gears while the clutch is not pressed?
2. If it is not a problem, how do I attach all the rods without shifting it into reverse, locking my shifter?
3. Anyone else have a similar problem like this.

Thanks,
Jon

Last edited by RamzaFreak20; 01-02-2012 at 09:40 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:28 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

It's normal to be able to shift some when the clutch isn't in, if the gears are lined up by chance correctly. Sounds like you might have an arm installed upside down. Have you lined up the shifter with the linkage disconnected before connecting the linkage? There's a centering hole that you can slip a small drill bit into so it keeps it all in neutral while you attahc the linkage.
Once you put the shifter in neutral you slip the drill bit in. Put each of the 3 shafts for reverse, 1-2, and 3-4 into their neutral positions. Then position each linkage rod, and put the arms and rods together without moving the shafts for each gear. This should get your trans and linkage adjusted perfectly, and if the linkage is in good shape it will shift.

Old 01-03-2012, 06:27 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I have been using a drill bit to keep the shifter in neutral. But my problem is the actual transmission. Every time I go to tighten the plates to the side of the transmission, it goes into gear. I'm going to try to put the plates on without the rods and see if it will not go into gear.

Thanks for your reply
Jon

Old 01-03-2012, 10:44 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by RamzaFreak20
I have been using a drill bit to keep the shifter in neutral. But my problem is the actual transmission. Every time I go to tighten the plates to the side of the transmission, it goes into gear. I'm going to try to put the plates on without the rods and see if it will not go into gear.

Thanks for your reply
Jon
If it tries to go into gear when you install the plates, then the adjustment is wrong. You need to turn the rod adjustment in or out until the plate drops over the shaft easily.

Old 01-03-2012, 11:16 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Lemme say it in a different way. When I bolt the plate to the side of the transmission, even when not connected to the rod, it goes into gear. The torque from the wrench shifts it, not strain from the rod.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:19 AM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

That's normal. Once it's tight just turn it back to neutral and connect the rod.

Old 01-04-2012, 01:13 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by 1971BB427
That's normal. Once it's tight just turn it back to neutral and connect the rod.
Thanks again. That is what I was doing, but this morning, I realized there are more than 2 positions in the 1-2 & 3-4 holes. Knowing what you're working on is most of the battle. Its shifting in and out like normal now, now it wont start .

Old 01-04-2012, 01:47 PM
3rd Gear Member

Are you 100% positive that the clutch/pressure plate assembly is installed correctly? I have seen T10s where an aligment tool was not used and the trans would not shift correctly at all....just a thought.

Old 01-04-2012, 02:00 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by djs383
Are you 100% positive that the clutch/pressure plate assembly is installed correctly? I have seen T10s where an aligment tool was not used and the trans would not shift correctly at all....just a thought.
The alignment tool was used, and the shifter/transmission is working properly. Now my problem is electrical gremlins.

Old 01-04-2012, 05:00 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by RamzaFreak20
Thanks again. That is what I was doing, but this morning, I realized there are more than 2 positions in the 1-2 & 3-4 holes. Knowing what you're working on is most of the battle. Its shifting in and out like normal now, now it wont start .
Wont start, or wont even turn over? If it wont crank over then you need to check the clutch safety switch. It will only let you start the car if the clutch is fully dperessed.

Quick Reply: Transmission help