Time to get started........

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 06:45 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Time to get started........

Okay so now that I have the car running right it is now time to start on the "beautification" of the "bucket".
I finally see why I got a "deal" on the car, I have too admit when I pulled the vinyl top off my heart sunk from what I saw, but hopefully some of you guys on the forum may have done this already and can tell me what I am in for or if it is even worth it.
Form the looks of things it looks like my 74 my need a new roof and if it does how hard is that to teak care of? I am pretty handy with a sawz-all and a ruler and a sharpie for measurements and from the looks of things that seems to be the only rust on the car.
Do they make roof replacements or skins or do I have to find a donor car?
Without further ado......I give you........

This is the driver side pillar

The back of the drivers side

The passenger side back

I swear if I didn't know better soem one used plaster and mesh to fix this SMDH!!!

View from the passenger side looking towards the back

Old 04-07-2011, 02:17 AM
Overdrive Member

Looks like the moon. Yes they make roof skins.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:14 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

They make roof skins, but I've never seen any at the various distributors for a 75 or newer Camaro. Classic industries says their roof will fit 74-81 "with some modification". I think all the early roofs will fit later with some mods, but none are exact fit.
I would try finding a junk car that doesn't have a vinyl top, and buy the roof. It's not an easy task to swap one, and harder with a donor roof, as you have to cut it apart without bending the donor. The glass needs to come out all around to do the swap, and you have to lay the new roof over the old to get an idea where to mark for cutting, then cut it off with 1/2"-1" border left. Final trimming can be done once the old roof is off, and you can see what you need.
I put a sunroof in my '71 back in 1975 and had to fill the hole when I rebuilt the car. I looked at a whole new roof, but chickened out and just bought a roof off a donor, then cut out what I needed and filled mine. In hindsight it would have been easier to replace the whole roof, and less bodywork to finish too.
If you have enough good metal after cleaning the roof, you might be able to patch in the holes with sheetmetal, but you'll probably need to go back to a vinyl top when you're done to hide it all.

Last edited by 1971BB427; 04-07-2011 at 09:17 AM.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:53 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by 77nomad
Looks like the moon. Yes they make roof skins.
Houston...we have a problem!! LOL

Originally Posted by 1971BB427
They make roof skins, but I've never seen any at the various distributors for a 75 or newer Camaro. Classic industries says their roof will fit 74-81 "with some modification". I think all the early roofs will fit later with some mods, but none are exact fit.
I would try finding a junk car that doesn't have a vinyl top, and buy the roof. It's not an easy task to swap one, and harder with a donor roof, as you have to cut it apart without bending the donor. The glass needs to come out all around to do the swap, and you have to lay the new roof over the old to get an idea where to mark for cutting, then cut it off with 1/2"-1" border left. Final trimming can be done once the old roof is off, and you can see what you need.
I put a sunroof in my '71 back in 1975 and had to fill the hole when I rebuilt the car. I looked at a whole new roof, but chickened out and just bought a roof off a donor, then cut out what I needed and filled mine. In hindsight it would have been easier to replace the whole roof, and less bodywork to finish too.
If you have enough good metal after cleaning the roof, you might be able to patch in the holes with sheetmetal, but you'll probably need to go back to a vinyl top when you're done to hide it all.
Thanks BB I have to admit I am a little afraid to take on a job of this magnitude due to all of the crazy variables that could occur, or not getting things aligned correctly and the doors might not close right or the glass doesn't line back up. I have to admit it is making want to sell the car......Just so I don't have to deal with this.

Maybe even just buy shell with a great body and transfer it, I found a 70 Camaro that had a fire underneath the hood and it looks like it burned into the interior.....IDK just frustrated as all hell right now!

Old 04-07-2011, 06:45 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Alignment wont be an issue because you don't remove the inner structure to do a roof. The inner structure is like a whole roof below the roof. I was shocked when I cut into mine and found I had two roofs. You drill out all the spot welds to separate the inner from the outter, then pry the outter part off. Some people don't even go that far. The cut the roof shy of the edges and lay the new roof overlapping the two with holes drilled to weld through and attach the new roof.
I've also seen the guys on one of the Power Block shows glue one on and spot weld it. Looked really easy, and quick doing it that way. They did the overlap also on the one they did to give more surface for the glue.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:16 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Alignment wont be an issue because you don't remove the inner structure to do a roof. The inner structure is like a whole roof below the roof. I was shocked when I cut into mine and found I had two roofs. You drill out all the spot welds to separate the inner from the outter, then pry the outter part off. Some people don't even go that far. The cut the roof shy of the edges and lay the new roof overlapping the two with holes drilled to weld through and attach the new roof.
I've also seen the guys on one of the Power Block shows glue one on and spot weld it. Looked really easy, and quick doing it that way. They did the overlap also on the one they did to give more surface for the glue.
Hmmmmm, gluing??? LOL I will get it fixed I know I was hot yesterday just because I was angry, but what a difference a day makes I feel much better about the situation today and it really is not hat bad just have to take my time and get dine right!!

Can you guys take a look at this link and tell me what you think about te replacement skin

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/74-75...s#ht_500wt_924

Last edited by gthmcty1; 04-07-2011 at 10:28 PM.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:17 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

That's not a replacement skin, it's a complete used roof. As you can see it's got the whole inner structure, and if you replace the inner and outter at the same time you will have fitment issues with all the glass, and posts. You'd have to split that roof free of the inner roof, and not damage it in the process. Not a really tough thing to do, but more work, and I'd say a day's job with a die grinder, cutoff wheel, and a torch to heat the glues used to tie the inner and outter roofs together.
Considering it's $250 with shipping, I'd keep looking for a local donor, or a new roof skin. I bought a whole roof for $45, and cut it off with my battery powered sawzall.
Here's the one you want:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/70-71...item3cb6148814

Last edited by 1971BB427; 04-07-2011 at 11:20 PM.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:36 PM
Overdrive Member

It would be nicer if they gave you more to work with. I try to do stuff like that by taking apart at the seams and rewelding, trying to mak it like the factory did.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:09 AM
In the Staging Lanes

That's not a replacement skin, it's a complete used roof. As you can see it's got the whole inner structure, and if you replace the inner and outter at the same time you will have fitment issues with all the glass, and posts. You'd have to split that roof free of the inner roof, and not damage it in the process. Not a really tough thing to do, but more work, and I'd say a day's job with a die grinder, cutoff wheel, and a torch to heat the glues used to tie the inner and outter roofs together.
Considering it's $250 with shipping, I'd keep looking for a local donor, or a new roof skin. I bought a whole roof for $45, and cut it off with my battery powered sawzall.
Here's the one you want:
70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 81 Camaro Firebird Roof Panel | eBay
Thanks BB i would rather spend the extra dough and buy that one and save the headache of the fitment issues.

Old 04-08-2011, 11:02 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Any suggestions on trying to repair the pillar on the drivers side? It looks as though it is just corroded. can I cut that out and weld in a patch?

Sorry for the million questions, but I am trying to learn as much as I can because I want to do the work myself, I already went out and bought my welder and some body tools. I figure if i want to learn to weld it might as well be on my own car and get the satisfaction of me doing it.

Quick Reply: Time to get started........