Think I found my Camaro, any opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 12:10 AM
4th Gear Member
Default Think I found my Camaro, any opinions?

Ok so its a 1981 with a 358 (.40 over 350) The enginework was done out of Jacksonville University of Florida by a GMTech center with aASE certification. Block was magnafluxed, cylinders bored, mains and cam line honed. The engine and tranny has 10K on them since the work was done, all of which were commuter miles. Its got an automatic TH400 and aQuicksilver shifter, shift kit, weld in subframe connectors, Holley, Edelbrock, Accell, trunk mounted battery, custom dash with Autometer gages, hooker competition headers, Flowmaster duals, steel cowl induction hood. The guy also says he has a 700R4 transmission for better gas mileage but Id have to install it for the 400. It all looks good to me and the price is right for me, any experienced opinions?

Old 06-06-2007, 08:04 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Think I found my Camaro, any opinions?

ORIGINAL: Spartan66

It all looks good to me and the price is right for me, any experienced opinions?
Its been my experiance, if I want a car and the price is right.......I get it.....[sm=exactly.gif]

Old 06-06-2007, 09:40 AM
4th Gear Member

lol, yes that is true. But how bout the setup he has, if the engine has all that work done to it, does it leave any room for me to do anything?

Old 06-06-2007, 02:49 PM
1st Gear Member

lol, yes that is true. But how bout the setup he has, if the engine has all that work done to it, does it leave any room for me to do anything?
Guys bought NEW Camaros and there was still stuff that they wanted to do. Usually the first thing was rip off the smog pump and install traction bars & headers. So I guess the point I'm making is that there is ALWAYS something to do.....if you want.

But it sounds like you wouldn't have to on the one your looking at.

Old 06-06-2007, 08:51 PM
4th Gear Member

Yeah lol. I figure its probably got considerable go power, but I want to up the control, Suspension etc if thats all it lacks. Any idea on how much HP/TQ its pushing with a setup like this?

Old 06-07-2007, 10:26 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah lol. I figure its probably got considerable go power, but I want to up the control, Suspension etc if thats all it lacks. Any idea on how much HP/TQ its pushing with a setup like this?
Only your dyno will know for sure on the horsepower.

As for the suspension changes, or any others for that matter, it all depends on what you can afford.

Then it depends on how much of your regular driving (ride)you'll compromise to make it go faster. Tub, 4 link, with 10-90 shocks on the front so that when you power it up the front will jump up and transfer weight to the rear.....and on.....and on.....

Old 06-07-2007, 11:13 PM
4th Gear Member

Bad news... The owner is in the Navy.. and he gets shipped out at 6am tomorrow.... Im back to looking...

Old 06-08-2007, 09:39 AM
1st Gear Member

Bad news... The owner is in the Navy.. and he gets shipped out at 6am tomorrow.... Im back to looking...
No, actually good news. The bad news is that you missed your chance to shave some off the price as he's not going to have a chance to sell it before he ships out.

My neighbor just bought a Corvette from someone that was leaving for Mexico the next day, so he shot them a price and under pressure they took the offer. They had been asking $6K for the vette and had gotten down to $4K, trying to get it sold before they left. He bought it for $2500. [:-]

You never know how bad they want the dough, unless you ask.

Old 06-08-2007, 12:23 PM
4th Gear Member

lol, well i found a 78 that im looking into right now.

Old 06-08-2007, 06:58 PM

I'd buy it looks damn good to me

Quick Reply: Think I found my Camaro, any opinions?