Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 10:06 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Suspension

I'm just trying to get an idea of what to do for suspension on my 71...It just has stock suspension in the front, and one of the previous owners had put air shocks in the rear which I'd like to replace. I'm not looking to go all out, but I'd like to make the car handle decently, so eliminating as much body roll as possible without making the car ride like a board is pretty much my goal.

Old 11-30-2009, 10:19 PM
3rd Gear Member

well you could always add new gas shocks, new springs, front and rear sway bar, traction bars, and new poly bushings

or coilovers

Old 11-30-2009, 10:38 PM
1st Gear Member

any particular brands? Where's the best place to get those?

Old 12-01-2009, 01:46 AM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by CamaroGuy71
well im gonna get KYB gas shocks when i upgrade mine. or you could get a total vehicle system from hotchkis. you can get them on JEGS or Summit racing

Old 12-01-2009, 07:09 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by ks71z28
You got mail... We build 2nd gens and put packages together for cars that are all our road racers to nice toght street cars, I'm sure you fit in their somewhere! Let me know if we can help

Keith
www.customworksproducts.com
That's a nice looking setup for a decent price! I've never seen tubular A arms for under $300!

Old 12-01-2009, 07:22 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by CamaroGuy71
I've dealt with Summit Racing for a long time. Thier products and service are tops. During my restoration I had problems with a few parts I ordered that were sent directly from the manufacturer (Goodmark) and Summit credited me the entire shipping cost, even though I did get the part. I ordered from them 2nd day air, and Goodmark too over two weeks to ship brackets that they said were a stock item.
They've done a lot to keep my business, so I keep going back.
I bought Energy Systems Poly bushing kits for front and rear, but can't say much about them yet, as I still haven't gotten time to install them.
As for what would help, I'd say you might need to check your suspension to see what you presently have. If you have front and rear sway bars, then I wouldn't change to different ones. If you don't, then I'd go for a good quality sway bar, and do both front and rear.
If you have single leaf springs out back, then I'd go for multileaf. Traction bars come in all types, but it really depends on how hot your engine is, as to whether you need them, or what type you need. They can be very cheap for the universals that bolt to your leaf springs, and those will work well for most engines of mild build.
A set of poly bushings is the cheapest route to go, but if you change all of them front and rear, you should do ball joints at the same time, as you'll have the A arms off anyway, and joints are under $100 a set for good quality.
Good shocks are a must, but it depends on what you're going to do, as to whether you need KYB, or Koni gas shocks. You could easily get a decent Gabriel gas shock that wont compare, but will save a lot of money, and handle your day to day needs very nicely. I'm running Gabriel gas shocks, and have been very happy with the ride and control.
You can easliy have well over $1,000 in the suspension upgrade, and that wont include labor by others, unless you can install it yourself.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:50 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1971BB427
I've dealt with Summit Racing for a long time. Thier products and service are tops. During my restoration I had problems with a few parts I ordered that were sent directly from the manufacturer (Goodmark) and Summit credited me the entire shipping cost, even though I did get the part. I ordered from them 2nd day air, and Goodmark too over two weeks to ship brackets that they said were a stock item.
They've done a lot to keep my business, so I keep going back.
I bought Energy Systems Poly bushing kits for front and rear, but can't say much about them yet, as I still haven't gotten time to install them.
As for what would help, I'd say you might need to check your suspension to see what you presently have. If you have front and rear sway bars, then I wouldn't change to different ones. If you don't, then I'd go for a good quality sway bar, and do both front and rear.
If you have single leaf springs out back, then I'd go for multileaf. Traction bars come in all types, but it really depends on how hot your engine is, as to whether you need them, or what type you need. They can be very cheap for the universals that bolt to your leaf springs, and those will work well for most engines of mild build.
A set of poly bushings is the cheapest route to go, but if you change all of them front and rear, you should do ball joints at the same time, as you'll have the A arms off anyway, and joints are under $100 a set for good quality.
Good shocks are a must, but it depends on what you're going to do, as to whether you need KYB, or Koni gas shocks. You could easily get a decent Gabriel gas shock that wont compare, but will save a lot of money, and handle your day to day needs very nicely. I'm running Gabriel gas shocks, and have been very happy with the ride and control.
You can easliy have well over $1,000 in the suspension upgrade, and that wont include labor by others, unless you can install it yourself.
What do you think of this kit from custom works products that Keith posted: http://www.customworksproducts.com/7222.html

Old 12-01-2009, 10:43 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

I don't know anything about it, but it does look very complete, and the price is definitely cheaper than buying it all separately from anyplace else.
If you priced all that up separately, you'd be 50-75% higher than his package price for the street version. I wouldn't go with the competition kit, as it will probably be pretty stiff. So will the other, but probably a good type of firm that makes you smile when cornering.
If my Camaro didn't have the factory F41 package I'd call and talk to them about that kit. I already have front and rear sway bars, multileaf rear springs, heavier coils, and gas shocks. I may consider his upper control arms yet, as that's a very good price.

Last edited by 1971BB427; 12-01-2009 at 10:46 PM.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:51 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1971BB427
I don't know anything about it, but it does look very complete, and the price is definitely cheaper than buying it all separately from anyplace else.
If you priced all that up separately, you'd be 50-75% higher than his package price for the street version. I wouldn't go with the competition kit, as it will probably be pretty stiff. So will the other, but probably a good type of firm that makes you smile when cornering.
If my Camaro didn't have the factory F41 package I'd call and talk to them about that kit. I already have front and rear sway bars, multileaf rear springs, heavier coils, and gas shocks. I may consider his upper control arms yet, as that's a very good price.
I wasnt planning on the competition kit. I dont want to feel like I'm driving a board lol. But I agree, the kit looks pretty complete and I can get it with Koni shocks. And for just over $1000 it's probably well worth the money.

Old 12-01-2009, 11:34 PM
3rd Gear Member

Quick Reply: Suspension