Summer Restoration Project

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 11:36 PM
Default Summer Restoration Project

This summer I am going to begin hunting for a (preferably 1970 to 1973) Camaro by perusing the back roads looking for rust buckets in need of restoration so I can restore it into a show car

I am only 16, however, don't count me out. I know its a long, expensive road, and I want to get on it as soon as I can.

Currently I drive a 2007 Ford Mustang v6 Auto, and my close family is strictly Ford and Lincoln with the exception of my father's 2010 Chevy Silverado 3500 Dually. Which means - I have no experience with Chevy cars - but I am VERY eager to learn. I want to do all the work myself, with the help of my friends, my uncle who owns a body shop, and my cousin who recently began restoration of an SS Chevelle.

Preferably, when I find a body to start working on, it won't have an engine.
My uncle can fabricate parts, and has access to scrap yards so I can find parts for cheap and learn to fabricate the ones that I can't get.

I'll probably have a body found by mid June

So - for now - I want to know if there is anything special for me to look for in my hunt for a barn find. I also want to know what a fair cash offer would be when I go looking.

The condition I want it to be in is bare bones.

Thanks, guys

I hope to be hearing from you all and learning more and more about these cars soon

Old 03-20-2011, 08:58 AM
2nd Gear member

well, special cars are worth more. You should master the vin codes and try to find a Z28 or SS.

The less rust the more the car is worth, but I would think $500 to $1500. Way closer to the $500 if it is really stripped and sitting in a field.

Old 03-20-2011, 10:55 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Welcome Hotblood!
Lots of things to consider, and as Gfrench said the Z28, SS, or RS are all good options to look for, but will add significantly to the initial expense of buying a shell. If you want to save some bucks start try to find a base model, and since you're completely rebuilding it make a clone of one of those more desireable models as you go.
Things to look for on the bad side are rust! Not sure if you can find a rust free complete rolling chassis for $500. I doubt you will anyway, unles you get really lucky. Most likely you'll find lots of them needing floor pans, fender patch panels, and even rear frame pieces. If you find any needing extensive frame repairs I'd pass on those no matter how cheap they are. Just not worth the time and money it will cost.
Might check your local Craigslist for cars in the years you're looking for, prior to searching. Might save you lots of time and gas running around.

Old 03-20-2011, 11:46 AM

What are the "special models"

Is there anything I should look for in the VIN or serial - and where would that be on a Chevy?

Also - what model catches catches the most attention?

I know SS's are very popular

Old 03-20-2011, 12:10 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

The RS or even better a Z28 RS will be the most desireable, and always get the most attention. A lot of people don't even realise the split bumoer 70-73 models are the same year as the full bumper Camaros in those same years. Many think they look so different that they must be a different year, rather than an option in those same years.
If you were looking for the most desireable option it would either be a Z28 with RS option, or a SS396 option.

Old 03-20-2011, 03:23 PM

Which model is this? I think it says Z28

Old 03-20-2011, 04:59 PM
In the Staging Lanes

that's a Z-28 could be a clone don't know but it's sharp that may be what you want to chase after but keep in mind prices are usaully high for those no matter what the condition. you can thank barret jackson and ebay for that! BB1971427 is right you may try for a base model, and make a clone. or better yet i know you want to build it from the ground up but you may come across a gem that's already complete for a good price. if you do that you can work on it AND drive it! building from a shell is a LONG expensive and at times complicated job.
good to have you here this a great bunch!
Dave

Old 03-20-2011, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by spifff2003
that's a Z-28 could be a clone don't know but it's sharp that may be what you want to chase after but keep in mind prices are usaully high for those no matter what the condition. you can thank barret jackson and ebay for that! BB1971427 is right you may try for a base model, and make a clone. or better yet i know you want to build it from the ground up but you may come across a gem that's already complete for a good price. if you do that you can work on it AND drive it! building from a shell is a LONG expensive and at times complicated job.
good to have you here this a great bunch!
Dave
I'm catching so much hell for this on the Mustang forums

Mustang owners I know complain about Camaro guys being *******s - and it seems like they're the ones proving its the other way around

Old 03-20-2011, 07:09 PM
In the Staging Lanes

no worries here i went through some other f-body forums before i settles here.
as far as mustangs well i can't speak for other but i like them too, my best friend has a 1966, i bent a let of wrenches on that thing over the years and it's a blast to drive! although i like my 74 camaro better when it's on the road.

Old 03-20-2011, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by spifff2003
no worries here i went through some other f-body forums before i settles here.
as far as mustangs well i can't speak for other but i like them too, my best friend has a 1966, i bent a let of wrenches on that thing over the years and it's a blast to drive! although i like my 74 camaro better when it's on the road.
Buy this. Buy this. Lol if you like classic Mustangs buy this. You will NEVER find a better deal

1970 Mustang Mach 1

A guy in town has a mint condition 1969 Mach 1 with 0 miles

A TON of early Camaros (latest one is a 1970) in mint condition most with 0 miles. He's a billionaire of some sort. I went and saw his collection of over 150 classic cars, most with 0 miles in mint condition. He owns the local Ford dealership - and just about every other dealership in town

Last edited by Hot Blood; 03-20-2011 at 08:35 PM.

Quick Reply: Summer Restoration Project