slower than a minivan

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 08:58 PM
1st Gear Member
Default slower than a minivan

ok so i took my dads 1996 dodge grand caravan to work today id i swear it pulls way harder then my camaro and its driving me nuts.like when you get on it in the van it takes off and my car it just sounds like its bogging?and by now every1 probably knoes i ahve liek a 2:73 rear in my car...but it doesnt seem like my car just has a as much tourqe as it should.....i have no idae what it is but like my car just feels really really slow i mean sometimes i tap the gas and it throws me back in the seat other times it either bogs or just doesnt really pull...and im saving for a 3:73 rear and tryin to keep an eye out for it..but are there any other like that would be just as god as a 3:73?cuz ive been told that anything that starts with 3:** is ok to used...im also considering a 4:11 scince this car will see very very little highway miles with me owning it..but would a rear be the major factor that would make the minivan pull harder than my car?

Old 12-11-2007, 11:41 PM
Default RE: slower than a minivan

What kind of carb are you running? Old Q-jets are notorious for being somewhat inconsistant.....

Old 12-12-2007, 05:41 AM
1st Gear Member

its got a quadrajet on it...i shoud be geting an edelbrock or somthin for x-mas.....i guess ill swap that out first and see what happpens cuz its gonna be a long time befor i can afford a rear swap

Old 12-12-2007, 03:25 PM

I've got the 2.73 rear in my Berlinetta and I don't think that is your problem...especially if sometimes you have the acceleration you want. Silly question, I know, but also make sure you've got the car warmed up before you step on it too much, I've had no end of trouble with the choke on the Berlinetta.

I went with an Edelbrock carb on mine, not my favorite but functional enough. My new z28 has a Holly, which I'm liking, but I think the edelbrock is fine for most driving, I can't complain.

Old 12-12-2007, 04:38 PM
1st Gear Member

yea i would get a holly but ive heard from alot of people that the holleys come out of tune prettyfast witch is ok for a race car cuz theyare constantly messin with it anyway but this is my daily driver and i was told that edelbrocks hold the tune alot better....and i probably have the exact same rear as your berlinetta cuz this car was a berinetta from factory(not much berlinetta stuff left tho except pass window is electric and the rear lol)

Old 12-12-2007, 10:01 PM
2nd Gear member

having both a holly and an edelbrock...id say go with the edelbrock. very good carbs. easy to work on, easy to adjust. just an all around soild carb. the holly i have now is good. a little fickel for my liking but it is a very good carb. so like i said go Edelbrock baby!!!!

Old 12-13-2007, 10:56 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

HolleyAvenger has nice "driveablity". I had the old 80s style holley on my 67 and with the cam thats in itall the car wanted to do was run fast. Butwith the kidsin the car I would try to drivemellow it fought me everytime. Avenger smoothed it right out. That holley avenger isabout as good as it gets without switching to EFI system. I do not think I gained anything in the 1/4 mile but I do not think I lost anything either. You can also dropon your car and hit the key and go, It will do decent right out of the box. I got mine off a speed shop down in Alt GAoff ebay. $240 and it showed up the next day!

Old 12-13-2007, 01:27 PM
1st Gear Member

il look into both that avenger and il look to see what edelrock has to offer.........i have an edelbrock intake on there so would that effect anyhting? like maby edelbrock stuff works better with edelbrock stuff only? or does mis matchin names not matter

Old 12-13-2007, 09:56 PM
3rd Gear Member

Article on Carbs and selecting a carb

Old 12-14-2007, 05:31 AM
1st Gear Member

thanks

Quick Reply: slower than a minivan