View Poll Results: A poll
Keep it stock looking (decals included)
37.50%
Change the paint (post your ideas if you want)
62.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Should i keep my 81Z looking stock?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 09:14 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: Should i keep my 81Z looking stock?

Leave the basics all stock. Then, if you want to do something like you've mentioned where if someone comes close to the car, they can see some trick stuff, have a very tastful pin striping job done. Not tape, real paint by a real free-wheeling "artist" type.

I've done this before to some of my other cars and it is really cool. Unfortunately I do not have any good pictures handy of what I'm talking about but I'll see if I can find some. Nothing gaudy or garrish but rather seomthing that is tasteful and is only going to be done once and not on any other car because it is "created" as it goes. The "true" pin stripe artist walks around and around the car and feels the curves and really tries to get some kind of "vibes" from the car. He then goes to work and usually uses colors you would never think of using and soon, woalla! A terrific classic pin striping work of art!

Old 09-20-2006, 09:26 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Here's a couple examples. Not exactly the best shots in the world but hopefully you get the idea. . .
[IMG] [/IMG]
[IMG] [/IMG]

Old 09-21-2006, 02:03 AM
3rd Gear Member

I think he is looking more subtle than that

also, I really don't think those types of ideas look good on those types of cars(just my opinion). makes them look too dated, but on an old rod, they are right at home.

BTW Hugger, are you from MA? if so where?

Old 09-21-2006, 02:10 AM
1st Gear Member

Definetely more subtle than that. Like pinstriping around the decals (painted on in metal flakes). Stuff that's subtle like that.

Old 09-21-2006, 02:24 AM
3rd Gear Member

I like the path you are going down but the one addition I will suggest is to not go with texture. whatever you do for graphics/stripes, you should do smoothly. you should have it all done under the clearcoat. when something is done under, wet-sanded and buffed, and you can't feel it, it is way more subtle

Old 09-21-2006, 03:57 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I guess I like that sort of stuff because "I" am too dated! (ha!) I'll admit I am more from the Amercian Graffiti generation than todays' and I have to keep that in mind.

81CanuckZ- It was the "flames" reference that sent down this road. Hey, I have extras so how about some fuzzy dice for the rear view mirror. (just kidding!)

1969 SS- No, I have dual residency in Illinois and Arkansas. I just happened to find some pinstriping example from a MA car.

Old 09-21-2006, 06:07 PM
1st Gear Member

Im going to have fuzzy dice or a Led Zeppelin air freshener hanging off the rearview mirror. And by textured i meant like below the clearcoat. Like it looks textured but isn't. Should have explained further. My bad, but yeah, metal flakes in the color of the decal stripes surrounded by a black pinstripe or something like that. And a clearcoat over everything.

Old 09-21-2006, 06:09 PM
1st Gear Member

And as for being dated, don't worry my sense of music is definetely dated. I listen to 60's and 70's rock. Favorite band is Rush, but i like most of the bands from that era with one or two exceptions that im not going to elaborate on.

Old 09-24-2006, 05:27 PM
2nd Gear member

Are you just planning a paint scheme for your Z? or do you also plan on keeping the rest of the car stock?

Hey Hugger, I'm just up the bluffs from St. Louis, Where are you at?

Old 09-24-2006, 09:09 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Smithton, Illinois. That's about 10 mintues south of Belleville, down close to Hecker. I drop by Gateway and Fast Lane every now and then just to see what they've got. Kinda fun to "look" and see the cars.

Quick Reply: Should i keep my 81Z looking stock?