View Poll Results: A poll
Keep it stock looking (decals included)
37.50%
Change the paint (post your ideas if you want)
62.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Should i keep my 81Z looking stock?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 08:09 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Should i keep my 81Z looking stock?

I toying with the decision of putting a different paint job on my camaro as opposed to a stock looking paint job with all the original style decals. I could get like flames, two tone, stripes, etc. Im still leaning towards keeping it looking stock (other than the exhaust tips that is). But it might look cool if I made it obviously a custom Camaro, like different color hood scoop etc. Maybe even a chameleon color hood scoop etc. Any paint ideas are appreciated as well as your votes. Note: it's got a functional hood scoop that im keeping. I also want to keep all the urethane/fiberglass pieces. Stock body parts, just new paint, so don't say get a new hood with a different hood scoop etc.

Old 09-19-2006, 10:37 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default RE: Should i keep my 81Z looking stock?

I really like those cars as close to stock looking as possible but one thing I do like on the 80-81s are on the scoop itself and on the bottom of the doors/rockers is a slight candy fade from light to dark but nothing that sticks out and says "hey look at me"

Old 09-19-2006, 10:40 PM
2nd Gear member

As long as u don't put any of the that goofy import s***, i'll like it. It's your car man put it to your personality and what you like.

Old 09-19-2006, 11:00 PM
1st Gear Member

Don't worry...i'd rather shoot myself than rice out a camaro, or any car for that matter. Im just looking for ideas so that i dont see or think of something later and regret not doing it. Describe that candy fade thing a bit more...i kinda like the sound of that. Im keeping it silver most likely, with black decals (colors it came in from factory). A silver to black fade would be sick.

Old 09-19-2006, 11:21 PM
2nd Gear member

When it comes time to paint mine, it's gonna be silver. I've seen one that had a 2 tone, maroon on top and silver bottom and it looked sharp.

Old 09-19-2006, 11:34 PM
1st Gear Member

most defent to keep the car stock take a look at my 80

Old 09-20-2006, 03:05 AM
1st Gear Member

I have man...it's beautiful. But im not tlking anything too radical here. Like at a distance it looks stock but up close you notice small details kind of thing. It would be something subtle to set mine apart if i did anything. Something you need to be right beside to notice. Like whre the decals are, have them painted on instead of decals and maybe have a textured look to the paint. I've been toying with that idea from the start. I won't change the body pieces...i like them. Just something small to differentiate mine from others like it.

Old 09-20-2006, 01:05 PM
3rd Gear Member

since you want to go with silver and maybe black it wouldn't work so well. If you weren't going with black, the fade would be something where you could put the design close to the original stickers on the bottom of the door. you could start with a slightly bright color and fade it into a darker color at your rear spoilers. many colors go well with silver. usually when something like this is done right, it also makes the car look lower to the ground because it pulls the eyes down lower, this is another reason you don't want to go too bright because it makes too hard of a contrast between the ground and the car.

Old 09-20-2006, 02:08 PM
3rd Gear Member

I think that Chevy did a two tone on the Berlinetta Camaro back in the 80's. I remember a silver / black combo from the factory that looked really neat.

Old 09-20-2006, 05:43 PM
1st Gear Member

But it's a Z28 and i like the body peices on the Z28, an they won't work so good with a berlinetta paint job. Think like for the decals being painted on, Have a black/charcoal/grey outline with a slightly lighter but textured inside, like using metal flakes in the paint. The outside pinstripe would be the color of the original decalsand the textured are inside would be very slightly lighter in color. As in you have to be within like 10 feet to even notice it. Same on the hood scoop. Ideas like that that are subtle but awesome are preferred. I've decided against the two tone too. Won't look as sharp with the Z28 body panels.

Quick Reply: Should i keep my 81Z looking stock?