roller rocker adjusting

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 04:38 AM
Default roller rocker adjusting

I JUST FINISHED PUTTING MY 350 MOTOR IN MY 1967 CAMARO. I HAVE 202 CAMEL HOOK HEADS WITH ROLLER ROCKERS AND _________ HEADERS. THE ENTIRE MOTOR HAS BEEN GONE THRU AND TOTALLY REBUILT. MY QUESTION IS "HOW DO I ADJUST THE ROLLER ROCKERS"?
I DROVE MY CAR ABOUT 1 MILE PULLING OVER CUZ OF A TINGING TYPE KNOCK THAT STARTED TO COME FROM THE ENGINE. MY MOTOR HADN'T BEEN DIALED IN, I ONLY ADJUSTED MY CARB JUST ENOUGH TO GET IT RUNNING SO I COULD TAKE IT TO A SOMEONE THAT KNEW MORE ABOUT TIMING etc.[IMG][/IMG]
I THINK MY ROLLER ROCKERS WERE TOO LOOSE CUZ WHEN I TOOK OFF MY VALVE COVERS, THE NUTS WERE NEARLY FALLING OFF OF THE STUDS! MAYBE THEY WERE NEVER TIGHTENED DOWN? I'M NOT SURE. IF THAT IS THE CASE. THEN WHAT ARE THE SPECS ON TIGHTENING THESE BAD-BOYS DOWN AND TORQUE IF THERE IS A TORQUE SPECIFICATION?

Old 09-19-2006, 04:39 AM
Default RE: roller rocker adjusting

I JUST FINISHED PUTTING MY 350 MOTOR IN MY 1967 CAMARO. I HAVE 202 CAMEL HOOK HEADS WITH ROLLER ROCKERS AND _________ HEADERS. THE ENTIRE MOTOR HAS BEEN GONE THRU AND TOTALLY REBUILT. MY QUESTION IS "HOW DO I ADJUST THE ROLLER ROCKERS"?
I DROVE MY CAR ABOUT 1 MILE PULLING OVER CUZ OF A TINGING TYPE KNOCK THAT STARTED TO COME FROM THE ENGINE. MY MOTOR HADN'T BEEN DIALED IN, I ONLY ADJUSTED MY CARB JUST ENOUGH TO GET IT RUNNING SO I COULD TAKE IT TO A SOMEONE THAT KNEW MORE ABOUT TIMING etc.
I THINK MY ROLLER ROCKERS WERE TOO LOOSE CUZ WHEN I TOOK OFF MY VALVE COVERS, THE NUTS WERE NEARLY FALLING OFF OF THE STUDS! MAYBE THEY WERE NEVER TIGHTENED DOWN? I'M NOT SURE. IF THAT IS THE CASE. THEN WHAT ARE THE SPECS ON TIGHTENING THESE BAD-BOYS DOWN AND TORQUE IF THERE IS A TORQUE SPECIFICATION?

Old 09-19-2006, 02:41 PM
Tech Droid

The roller rockers should come with polylocks which should not come loose. As for adjustment, set them up like regular rockers. The one thing you have to be careful, especially with a reground cam having a smaller base circle, is to verify that the roller enf does not roll right off the end of the valve stem. This can cause some serious damage. Rotate the engine by hand and watch the roller tips, they should touch the valve stem at the center and move slightly towards the edge and then move back, without ever going all the way to the edge. If they don't center properly you will need custom size push rods.

Old 09-20-2006, 12:58 PM
3rd Gear Member

I might be going overboard here but do you have solid or hydraulic lifters? major difference there

Old 09-20-2006, 01:20 PM
3rd Gear Member

Camel Hook Heads? Anyway, Chevy Rocker Arms aren't torqued down. The Easiest way ( Hydraulic Cam ) is with the engine running, tighten each rocker until it stops clicking and tighten it another 1/4 to 1/2 turn. To get Your polylocks tight, get Your final position and loosten 1/2 turn, then tighten th inner and outer nuts together back the 1/2 turn for final locking. If it's a solid lifter camshaft, You can do almost the same thing. With a feeler gauge ( usually about .024" - .030" ) placed between the tip of the valve and the roller on the rocker, tighten until You feel slight pressure. Th get the polylock tight, simply loosten 1/2 turn and tighten both nuts together back the 1/2 turn. There are better ways to do it with the engine off, but that requires a pretty knowledgeable mechanic to set the valves.

Old 09-20-2006, 05:13 PM
3rd Gear Member

I think he was meaning Camelhump heads, the old Fuelies

setting solids like that sounds pretty crazy. solids usually have a hot and a cold setting and the valve clearance is usually specified on the cam-card.

setting valves with the engine off is easier and MUCH cleaner than with it running. just my opinion

Old 09-20-2006, 07:30 PM
3rd Gear Member

It seems easier for a rookie to do with it running, I won't do it that way anymore. I have a proceedure chart for setting valves that I got from an old Direct Connection ( Mopar Performance ) catalog. I usually work with roller camshafts with insane spring pressure and setting them running is out of the question. I've always had My customers tell Me that They find it easier when They're starting out to do it running. Thanks for the input.

Old 09-20-2006, 11:02 PM
3rd Gear Member

all we can do is try to lead the minions in the right direction. [&:]

Old 09-21-2006, 01:11 AM
Tech Droid

In my experience, both hydraulic and solid lifters are best set with the engine running & hot, just a bit messy and rough on the hands.

Old 09-21-2006, 01:26 AM
3rd Gear Member

I can't imagine that solids would be easier? never tried it though, but how do you get a feeler gage inbetween while the engine is running? seems almost imposible

Quick Reply: roller rocker adjusting