rear seat and deck removal?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 10:08 PM
Default rear seat and deck removal?

As the title suggests I'm attempting to take out my rear seat and rear deck. I got the bottom section of the seats out and took the two bolts for the seat back out but it doesn't want to come out. I lifted the seat back up and saw 3? hinges i suppose but I cant figure out how the seat back comes off.

Also I'm interested in getting the rear deck out but I don't know how this comes out either. As its in decent shape I don't just want to mess around with it and mess it up. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Old 04-21-2011, 10:19 PM
Banned
Location: Raised in Tilton NH now residing in Kings Mountain KY

Shaun those three things you see are not hinges but hooks. You have to push the top edge of the seat back and up in one motion to free it from the hooks. As far as the rear deck goes do you mean the area inside the car behind the seat?

Old 04-21-2011, 10:31 PM

Thanks for the quick response. I will try to remove the seat again most likely this weekend. And about the rear deck, sorry, I didn't explain it at all. That is the part I was trying to refer to. I'm trying to get it out to modify the speaker holes a little. I was thinking of top mounting them so that I can get the speaker covers on as well, and the fellow before had some top mounted as well. Or should I mount it below and get speaker enclosures?

Old 04-22-2011, 01:12 AM
Overdrive Member

Its called a package tray. It comes out buy getting the seat out and the trim across the back window. Maybe the arm rests and sail panels for sure.

Old 04-22-2011, 08:39 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

The package shelf itself wont come out, but the decorative trim on it will. Any mods to the metal part will need to be done in the car. I wouldn't worry whether the speakers are mounted dropped in, or bolted from below. I always bolt mine in from below if the speaker and grille allow it.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:14 PM

Ok, does the jute padding and above that all come off? I wasn't able to get it off when I tried. The rear panels(sail panels and arm rests) have been off since i bought the car. In the trunk I noticed something that might've looked like a mounting bracket; if you open the trunk and look just under where the package tray is. It was centered or just to the left of center. What might this be or am I the only one that has it? I will look at it a bit more tomorrow. I hope I only have to mess with the trim itself and not the metal, as far as I can tell its the same size speaker, however the magnet and some of the structuring is bigger. It's still a 6x9 speaker though.

Again thanks everyone.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:35 PM
Banned
Location: Raised in Tilton NH now residing in Kings Mountain KY

Yep, jute and up should come right up. If you're having a hard time removing it it may have allot of adhesive holding it in. When you refer to the bracket in the trunk are you talking about a bracket on the trunk floor? If so there are places to mount the spare tire and the jack. If you are talking about the underside of the package tray metal it may be a bracket to hold wires. I'd have to see a pic to be sure. Speaking of pics have you posted any up anywhere on here yet? We all like pics.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:57 PM
Overdrive Member

I think the jack went there.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:07 AM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by shaun91
Ok, does the jute padding and above that all come off? I wasn't able to get it off when I tried. The rear panels(sail panels and arm rests) have been off since i bought the car. In the trunk I noticed something that might've looked like a mounting bracket; if you open the trunk and look just under where the package tray is. It was centered or just to the left of center. What might this be or am I the only one that has it? I will look at it a bit more tomorrow. I hope I only have to mess with the trim itself and not the metal, as far as I can tell its the same size speaker, however the magnet and some of the structuring is bigger. It's still a 6x9 speaker though.

Again thanks everyone.
In the later second gens the floor jack goes on those hooks. I keep meaning to cut them out on mine.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:10 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Later 2nd gens came with a "floor jack"! ??

Quick Reply: rear seat and deck removal?