Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum

Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum (https://camaroforums.com/forum/)
-   70-81 General (https://camaroforums.com/forum/70-81-general-12/)
-   -   Radiator Support (https://camaroforums.com/forum/70-81-general-12/radiator-support-61054/)

walkingchaos 04-16-2011 10:09 PM

Radiator Support

So i was going over the engine bay today and leaned on the radiator only to find one side of it dips down . . . due to the fact there is nothing under it :( So what am i looking at for ways to fix it ? Attempt to weld a new piece in ? Replace it ? Is there a repro piece which i can get or am i looking thorugh the junkyards ? Any help would be appreciated !

80ZJoe 04-17-2011 01:11 AM

have any pics? dont really understand, maybe a bushing?

77nomad 04-17-2011 01:26 AM

The rad it mounted on rubber. It may be rotted.

ATM 04-17-2011 09:14 AM

I agree with pics, you need to look closer at it. There is a rubber bushing between the core support and the subframe. Maybe the bushing rotted away and there is nothing there. Maybe the core support rusted through where the bushing mounts. Maybe the bolt broke, and the whole bushing and everything just plain fell out. Depending on what your problem is, you can get new bushings, not sure about a new core support, but they are available on Craigslist, and I see them on occasion on NastyZ28 swapmeet section. Probably would not be too hard to weld them up either.

1971BB427 04-17-2011 09:42 AM

All sorts of patches that can be done, but first you need to drain the radiator and pull it out to see what's going on. If it's just the rubber core support, then new ones. If it's the whole lower bracket that's broken or rusted loose, then it can be fabbed from sheetmetal and bolted in place where the old one was spot welded.
Lots of cheap options once you determine the problem.

walkingchaos 04-17-2011 10:39 AM

Ok ill try and get a pic today for you guys. Its def not just a bushing, there is NOTHING underneath it on the drivers side . . . open air. It looks like half of the metal "shelf" it sits on it rotted away :(

ATM 04-17-2011 12:27 PM

Well, they are available, used that is for sure. Some people think that they are really worth alot of money though. If it is rotted away, you will have to pull it out, which is pretty involved, but really not a big deal. Main issue is getting your panels to line back up again properly. But if you pay attention and make notes of how many shims came from where, and mark things somehow it should go back together pretty easily. You could probably maybe even fab something up to bolt in up high and have a 90 degree bend in it somehow to bolt to the frame bushing as a short term fix.

ATM 04-19-2011 03:39 PM

core support - NastyZ28.com

Parts for sale - NastyZ28.com

Here are 2 right now.

walkingchaos 04-19-2011 09:52 PM

wow awesome, thank you! I may just pick one of those up . . . im def gonna need it.

1971BB427 04-19-2011 10:42 PM

The 2nd one is "local pickup" only, so unless you want to drive to Alabama I'd pass on it. Better jump quick, as that stuff goes really fast! I just tossed a '71 core support in the scrap run.