questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 05:49 PM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr
Default questions

Hello, total newbie to the camaro world. I am mechanically inclined, rebuilds, honing etc... But, I dont understand somethings about my new car. Just got a 69 sedan. I will figure out all the codes later, what I need to learn is the shifting. I cant find reverse or any other gear. What I have on the floor is something that looks like a standard stick shifter, however there is no clutch so I know its an automatic. I can feel the gears, or what I would think are the gears, when I move it around. Its a 'Hurst' shifter. The engine will idle and sit still, when I give it gas it lurches forward, so I think its in a gear. What gear? 'D'? '1'? where is nuetral? The other problem is the brakes - none, pedal goes all the way to the floor, I am thinking to bleed them and that might do it. Is there anything unique about Camaro that I should try instead? The PO just put in all new stuff, Master Cylinder, power booster, lines etc... I am thinking the bleeding should do it. The is a line going to the carb, I am not sure its the right location on it though, chiltons is kinda vague and tells me nothing about the power booster. Also, how/where do I find info on what model it is IE, Z28, SS etc... All I know from the 'plate' is that it came from the 'N' factory with a V-8, the plate is vague on color and trim etc... Thanks for any info.

Old 10-21-2006, 09:53 AM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr
Default RE: questions

Anyone ?

Old 10-22-2006, 10:29 PM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

OK, I found nuetral. I will figure out 1,2 and 3 later once the brakes are fixed. Didnt get any info from any one, a bunch of people looked though, thanks for looking.... I guess. Oh yeah, its supposed to be fathom green color, ewww.

Old 10-30-2006, 12:17 PM
3rd Gear Member

Shifter pattern is P R N D I don't know what trans you have. If it's a TH 250-350 there is 2 and 1 after. If it's an R4 model, then it'll have D then D then 2 then 1.
The cable wasn't adjusted right or the valve body lever isn't in the right position. As for the brakes, check to see if there is fluid in the system. If there is then look at the gasket on the top because if it is hanging or pulled, then there is a leak or a problem with the system. Check for any wet spots in the brake lines too. Bleeding them first is always the easiest and cheapest way to go. I would recomend changing the master cylinder and the proportioning valve.

Old 10-30-2006, 01:28 PM

The line from the brake power boost unit just behind the master cylinder should go to a full vacuum port on the carb or manifold. This gives you the power brake boost. The Q-jet and replacements have a port on the back of the carb for the hook-up usually a metal line with a short piece of rubber tubing going to brake boost unit. You're shifter issues are weird! It sounds like an automatic but there is no way to tell what gear you're in. On the steering coulmn near the dash you should have a sleeve that turns as you shift gears which is the same sleeve on older cars when you had a column mounted shifter. You could mark the sleeve once you find the right gear. You may want to look into a new floor shifter to make your ride more driveable.