Problems with my TH350. Help Please.

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 09:23 AM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
You DO want at least one breather in one of your valve covers, so that the crankcase can breathe in and out. When separate breathers were dropped, vent tubes were hooked up to the air cleaner assemblies instead, but it was still a breather vent. Put a PCV valve in the other valve cover, and hook it up to the base of the carb (the big fitting). If you get oil coming out of the breather, then you probably don't have a baffle inside the valve cover, and oil is coming right up. If that's a problem, they make a nifty rubber grommet that has a sponge filter at the base of where the push in breather goes, to help prevent oil from easily spraying up into the breather. Without a breather, the PCV will create all sucking out and no breathing in. Then oil and air will try to find other ways to get in and out, in places you don't want it to.
I use PVC valve on my driver's side and a while back someone told me to block off the opposite side and it would help with vacuum. Well, it sucked my front seal and gave me a heck of a mess and a new deal to fix. Just get valve covers with a baffle or the rubber extension with the little sponge/filter in it. You can get those for about 5-10 bucks IIRC.

Old 05-07-2010, 06:51 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

I have never run a breather on my 427 in 37 yrs. It came with just a PCV valve and no breather from the factory, and it's worked fine that way. There's no reason a engine should suck air as the PCV valve returns air into the base of the carb. It will only flow what the engine allows it to flow.
Something else is wrong if an engine sucks in a front seal. I've lost front seals on cars way before they ever thought of PCV valves. It's always been a point of concern on SBC and BBC intakes. I don't even use them anymore, just black RTV to form the front and rear seals on the intake.

Old 05-07-2010, 07:58 PM
1st Gear Member

how about that tranny?
it might be due for an oil change.
what is the condition of the oil? smell mostly and the color.
i wouldn't be surprised if that 383 ate it up in two mounts.
a stock rebuild with a shift kit can't take 450 hp for long!
if the oil is perfect like in the can still then start to wonder if it can be fixed.
really need some upgrade clutches ,plates , drums , sprags , full manual valve body , etc , if you want any tranny to hold back all those ponnies !
it sounds like alot but it's easy if you get the complete stage 2 or 3 trannies.
they are getting to have soo many models to chose from