Probably buying this '70 RS, what do you guys think?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 08:30 AM
Default Probably buying this '70 RS, what do you guys think?

Found this sweet 1970 Custom Camaro RS and wanted to see what you guys think before I totally commit to it. It's a big purchase for me, checked it out last night and it's smooth riding and looks even better in person. The only thing wrong I could find was a few bubbles in the paint in the back quarter panels which are shown the pics. The guy did most of the work himself and stuck a lot of time and money into it, but needs something more practical for himself.
I LOVE the look of it, I have a few idea's to make it even better.
Matching number engine, tranny to car.

Pics:

Some of the minor issues:

Old 06-20-2013, 11:53 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I'd jump on it, as long as the price is right. You'll want to address those rust blisters before it gets worse. It's possible some of those spots could be rust through, but it's not a major area provided there isn't a lot more that's hidden. Does everything look good and solid underneath, floors, frame rails, upper shock mount area, etc.?

Old 06-20-2013, 04:51 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Looks pretty good, but as mentioned, I'd expect to find more rust where the bubbles are. Might have been there before paint, and not properly addressed. The crack at the corner of the rear window is also going to need attention soon, or bad things will happen! I see a bubble close to it, and the roof joint is starting to go. If it hasn't started on the opposite side, it may soon.
If the price is right, it's a good looking car to get, and can't go wrong with a '70 RS.

Old 06-20-2013, 11:36 PM

Price is just over $13K plus comes with a bunch of extra items that go along with the car that are kind of cool, I'm getting the plates that are on that say KRUZIN 70, I've searched and can't find a better one even with those issues which really aren't as bad as they seem, but could get worse I know. I know a good body guy that can take care of those permently for a decent price and he does great work. Everything else on the car checks out perfectly, drives like a new car, engine is awesome, just had the the tranny rebuilt, there's so many cool things he did to it that I wouldn't have even thought of doing. He's stuck about $30k into it and a lot of time and care too. We are actually going to keep in touch and he said he'd help me out when I want to do something with the car or need to fix something. So I think that's a fair price for a custom 70 1/2. Man is it cool looking up close. Thanks guys for the advice!

Last edited by titletowncards; 06-21-2013 at 09:02 AM.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:51 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I would think it is worth the 13K but it really bugs me when I see this type of stuff. I mean sure the original car was only designed to last 5-8 years but a modern restoration should be good for 20+ years. When you restore a car you just need to treat the rust and use weld thru primers on the joints you redo and seal everything with epoxy seal/primer. Heck you could drive the car for 10+ years as your everyday driver and not see bubbling like that.

How long ago was she painted? How many more surprise is this below par body work going to give you? We did have one member that bough a nice looking restored 1st gen. Paint started to bubble up by the time he was done he had half the body a part and a complete new paint job.

Old 06-21-2013, 10:50 PM

Hopefully this makes sense, I apoligize but I'm a newbie. The blue paint on most of the car is the oldest part of the restoration/customization. He wanted to wait and fix up the other things that were wrong and make that one of the last things to do because it wasn't that bad yet. The spots that you see have not changed a lot since he owned it, I've seen pics. His next project on the car was to address those area's. He even had a quote from a very good body guy that he is passing onto me.

The Blue paint job was on there when he bought it in '08 and he's not sure how long it was on there before that, so it could be a while. The hood and front and stripes were done seperatly by him at a shop he used to work at.

This car's been on the hoist a lot and not one person is concerned about anything underneath. So I feel good about that.

You guys are nicer than some of the people giving me grief on NastyZ28. Most are nice, but some are down right mean.

I might be new at classic car buying, but I'm not stupid, or in a rush and I do my homework and this car makes sense for the price. I've been looking for 1 1/2 years and saved up my money. I had my choice of buying a newer Camaro for $15-20K or a classic like this for $13K. You have to go with the Classic!

Thanks!
Chris

Old 06-22-2013, 12:08 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by titletowncards
You guys are nicer than some of the people giving me grief on NastyZ28. Most are nice, but some are down right mean.
Thanks!
Chris
Well, we are nicer, but that goes without saying!
And you know I just had to go and check out what they were saying.
Other than the last guy who flat out said to stay away from the car, the rest were giving you honest, helpful, constructive feedback. We're still nicer though, and don't forget it or else!!!

Old 06-22-2013, 09:08 AM

Most are giving me well-intended honest advice and that's what I asked for, I don't want to complain because that's what I asked and I appreciate it. I'm going to buy the car and address those paint issues right away. I'll throw it up here when I get done and back from Vegas after next week. And of course I'm gonna use this forum for buying/trading/advice which is why I joined! Thanks!
(I'll copy/paste my statement above to nasty)

Old 06-22-2013, 06:31 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by titletowncards
That's why it's called NastyZ28...

Old 07-06-2013, 11:09 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Looks like a nice car but my only hesitation would be paying that much when you are facing 10K+ to properly fix body and paint issues.

Quick Reply: Probably buying this '70 RS, what do you guys think?