popping battery caps

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 05:25 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default popping battery caps

Okay guys strangest thing happened, I installed a new alternator (internally regulated) and I was driving the other day and my battery cap popped off, didnt really think much of itput it back on, but the next day it did it again (battery is practically new 3 months old) WTH??

What do you think would cause that to happen?

Old 04-04-2011, 05:29 PM
Overdrive Member

the battery boiling over. check the voltage at the battery with the engine running. It should be about 14.7 for a high and 13.5 for a low if your charging system is running good. If you revv up the engine there should be little to no change in the voltage.

Was your car always internally regualted or did you do the conversion?

Massey

Old 04-04-2011, 07:35 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Yep, sounds like your alternator is over-charging the battery.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:35 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Massey
the battery boiling over. check the voltage at the battery with the engine running. It should be about 14.7 for a high and 13.5 for a low if your charging system is running good. If you revv up the engine there should be little to no change in the voltage.

Was your car always internally regualted or did you do the conversion?

Massey
I am not really sure I believe the car has it internally regulated stock..........

Last edited by gthmcty1; 04-04-2011 at 08:42 PM.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:01 PM
In the Staging Lanes

the year of the car may be helpfull in figuring out of it's internally regulated but i agree sounds like it's over charging. is it possible you knocked something loose during the replacement?
Dave

Old 04-04-2011, 09:03 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by spifff2003
the year of the car may be helpfull in figuring out of it's internally regulated but i agree sounds like it's over charging. is it possible you knocked something loose during the replacement?
Dave
I am a dumb *** in a huge hurry.....I had the terminals reversed I had the the 12v constant hooked to terminal 1 instead of terminal 2, I had to put a new plug on it and wired them backwards....ughhhhh

Thanks guys

Old 04-05-2011, 09:55 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Okay guys I think I may have messed up the internal voltage regulator, although I now have the wires hooked up correctly (I went and bought the correct pigtail) I check voltage at the battery and it is reading like 15.62 volts and at the back of the alternator it is reading 16.6v rev it up it jumps up the 16.8 volts and at the battery it reads 15.7 volts, but it is not boiling the battery any longer.
Do you think I fried the voltage reg?

Old 04-05-2011, 09:56 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by spifff2003
Dave
Sorry 1974

Old 04-05-2011, 11:39 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Does it charge that high with the exciter wire disconnected too? Look at the back side of the alternator through a vent slot to find the shiny back of the voltage regulator (adjacent to the plug). With a small screwdriver, just for a moment, touch the back of the regulator and the case of the alternator at the same time (older regulators had what was referred to as a "D" hole for doing this). Did that make any difference? From a "loafing" state, you would hear the alternator groan/whistle a bit more, and see a deflection in the meter/gauge. What the screwdriver does is it grounds the voltage regulator and puts the alternator into a full charge state, which will tell you if the regulator is working or not. Don't worry, you won't harm anything that isn't already harmed.

Old 04-05-2011, 11:56 AM
Overdrive Member

I drew these schematics for another thread on the 1st gen cars but your wiring will be similar to this. Here is the changes you need to make to wire from externally regulated to internally, using the OEM wires.

How it was.

How you need to make it.

and in words.

Disconnect the battery.
Remove the regulator connector and toss the regulator.
Clip all the wires form the connector.
Tie the white and blue together and butt connect them to the brown.
Clip off the large red wire and insulate and isolate that from the chassis since this gets battery power at all times. (remove the red if you can)
Clip the alternator plug off the harness.
Buy the correct harness plug for the 7127 alternator.
tie the blue and white together again and butt them to the white wire of the new plug.
Put a fork or loop connector on the red wire of the new plug.
Attach the primary wire and red wire from the new plug to the main lug of the alternator.
plug in new plug to top of the alternator and mount alternator to engine, tighten belt properly.
Reconnect battery and start engine.
test Voltage at the battery.

Simple as that.

Massey

Quick Reply: popping battery caps