Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 10:53 AM
1st Gear Member

Hey Guys. I just got back, and i hope your Christmas was good.

Thanks for the advise. Yes I am going to go through the rear end that I have. Not only is it the original one, it is 3.73 gears that the factory matched to the M-21 close ratio, and crazy screaming engine.

I just love that it is so strong, and that it matches the car, and GM did a good job matching the parts.

For sure if I did not like it, or it was weak, i would change it..

Let's just see what my Good Old Boy Drive line does against the newer and stronger stuff. I will run what i brung....

I go by today to do a test drive before we do the work... I get to hear and feel a lot of new stuff soon...

Old 12-28-2011, 06:42 PM
1st Gear Member

Drove the car today..Oh man does it look sweet.. The undercarraige high tech stuff, it sounds great. Brakes and steers like a race car.. Pulled to redline just like old times...

We are installing new eaton and richmond rear end parts, and then i am ready for now.

the interior will happen later..

Last edited by bucketlist2011; 12-28-2011 at 08:30 PM.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:19 AM
1st Gear Member

I am going crazy....

I just can't wait..

Beyond the fact that it now handles and brakes like a new Corvette, it just Screams to redline..

And the Traction problems are much better. I won't know for sure until the new rear is in, but it feels like it hooks up much better..All the new parts together make it want to just pull rather than burn the tires..

Tick tock...I must wait, but only a little longer.. Order the parts, half day to install, and I will then Launch it and really see...

But the LT-1, even after all these years, just Screams.....It only has about 20k miles on it, but it has sat for years... It was just sleeping.

Oh and i put on the Street muffler set up.. Stainless 2.5 inch with the X pipe.. It sounds mean and just beastly, at idle and at speed too.. Thank god i did not get the race muffler, or worse, their Violator muffler... It is pretty Beastly now...My old exhaust sucked..Straight 2 inch with no x pipe and turbo mufflers...Now it is all business..

So before all the mods, and with severe traction problems, i ran a 13.9@102MPH. twenty years ago...

Next spring i will re run the same engine... I won't be happy with less than low 13's at maybe 108 MPH...We will see..

The way it looks and sounds, it needs to run good times... It may run even better than that.

Last edited by bucketlist2011; 12-29-2011 at 09:23 AM.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:58 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Sounds like too much fun! Too bad winter is just setting in and you can't rack up tons of street time!

Old 12-30-2011, 02:11 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1971BB427
Sounds like too much fun! Too bad winter is just setting in and you can't rack up tons of street time!
No kidding...And i won't be taking the interior apart...i won't have anything to put back in..i am tapped out on car money....That is ok...i have seats and seat belts and carpet...may need changing, but that is next years project... i may do some detailing and testing and adjusting.. By spring the suspension and brakes and new rear end will be ready to have some fun... it is meaner than it was before, and it was mean already...
well at 52, i may as well have this crazy beast... not getting any younger..

Old 12-30-2011, 12:26 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

52 sounds pretty young to me!

Old 12-30-2011, 01:06 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1971BB427
52 sounds pretty young to me!
It is now..

i am feeling much better, and i have been off disability for a few months and back to work...

So, yea I am feeling good. Man , my car is just a crazy car now... i have the wife's car and my old faithful F150 that are quiet cruisers..

But, i am glad i already did the work. life happens and we would have just slowly used the money elsewhere. I have what i have always dreamed of with this car... Not done by a long shot. But on the way..

Gotta earn a bunch more before i spend anything other than Gas money >>haha

Old 01-03-2012, 02:34 PM
1st Gear Member

Well, done spending money AFTER the rear end parts were ordered...

Well worth it...I will know that it will be ready for the usual abuse i will put it through..

On the road again real soon

Old 01-06-2012, 03:05 PM
1st Gear Member

To my Mechanic friends here.. So my build sheet says M-21 close ratio..

I know it is a 26 spline close ratio..

I am hearing that due to the heavy duty yoke and back of the tranny, it is a M-22 ??

Personally, i don't care, because it is strong and would match the sheet if an M-21, but it does have the beefy Driveshaft, trans parts, and 8.5 ten bolt with the beefy u joint section..Any ideas ???

Old 01-06-2012, 05:32 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

The beefy U joints wont make it a M22 for sure. The M21 used those also I believe. How's it sound while cruising down the road? M22's are pretty distinct with their whine that sounds like a gear drive timing set inside the trans.
Next time it's up in the air print out this info and take a look at the numbers on your trans to ID what it is:
Muncie 4 Speed Transmissions

Quick Reply: Newbie