New parts, won't start

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 09:31 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default New parts, won't start

So after a long removal, cleaning and new installation process, my car won't start now. I pulled off the stock intake and carb and replaced it with an edelbrock 3701/1400. After finally getting everything back in, it won't start. I know the carb is getting gas, so I don't think I'm getting a spark. Can anyone give me a place to start or advice?

Old 08-26-2012, 10:03 AM
Tech Droid

If there is no spark, you can start by checking for power to the coil when the key is ON and on START.

Old 08-26-2012, 10:10 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

You may have installed the distributor 180 degrees outta whack. If you didn't turn the engine over, you shouldn't have lost your place though. Or, maybe some wires are crossed. Retrace your footsteps:

Last edited by Camaro 69; 08-26-2012 at 10:12 AM.
Old 08-26-2012, 02:38 PM
3rd Gear Member

Good information Camaro 69, Ramza let us know when she is running.

Old 08-26-2012, 05:38 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I actually used those videos to install my distributor. I just forgot to plug power into the coil. I tried to start it and it sound like the starter was grinding. I tried it a couple more times, then the motor turned over. It ran fine, I drove it down the road and back and parked. I tried to start it to see if I could start it again for work in the morning. It sounded like it was grinding again, so I took a peek at the starter. Oil was running out of the bell housing, though I couldn't tell if it was tranny fluid or engine oil. Either way, fml... What may have happened?

Old 08-26-2012, 05:58 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

You might be leaking oil from the back of the intake manifold, and it's running down. You don't want to use the rubber valley gaskets that may have come with the gaskets, they can squish out and cause a leak. RTV silicone is the only thing you want to use on the ends. Permatex Ultra Copper is a good one to use.

Old 08-26-2012, 08:20 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I used RTV silicone, and I could not find the leak. I also figured out that the grinding was from my starter bolt backing itself out. I put some locktight on it, but I still havent found my mystery leak :/

Edit: Locktight got the bolts in, but it isnt starting reliably.

Last edited by RamzaFreak20; 08-26-2012 at 08:39 PM.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:41 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Did you not have an oil leak before the intake swap? Did you look real well at the back of the intake, use a mirror if you have to, to see that the oil isn't coming from there?

Old 08-26-2012, 10:55 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by RamzaFreak20
I used RTV silicone, and I could not find the leak. I also figured out that the grinding was from my starter bolt backing itself out. I put some locktight on it, but I still havent found my mystery leak :/

Edit: Locktight got the bolts in, but it isnt starting reliably.
If you used RTV, did you use it with the end seals, or just by itself? If you used it with the seals it can actually cause the seals to slip out when tightening the intake bolts. Needs to be used by itself with just the side gaskets, not the end seals.

Old 08-26-2012, 11:32 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Did you not have an oil leak before the intake swap? Did you look real well at the back of the intake, use a mirror if you have to, to see that the oil isn't coming from there?
It was not leaking before the swap, but I'll get a mirror to look after work tomorrow. Also, I just tossed the rubber end seals. After talking with my dad, he is also convinced it is the rear of the intake. Now I'm just super concerned about the grinding noise. Hoping its just a hot starter...

Funny story: I asked my wife to try to start the car while I looked at the engine. She has never seen a manual transmission, so when she started the car, she didn't push in the clutch. I have no clutch safety switch and it was in first gear. Goodbye shins.

Quick Reply: New parts, won't start