New member with a fun project

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 04:29 AM
Default New member with a fun project

Hey everyone. I'm just now seeing this site, and while I know almost everything there is to know about my current car (chevy cobalt), I'm new to older cars and RWD cars, especially when it comes to supporting mods. I have some exploring and searching to do, but I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions for the camaro.

Me and a friend just recently purchased a 1978 Camaro (not much is known about the car yet). We currently have about $7k to work with for this car, and our only real must is that we want to put a 454 BBC in place of the 350 it currently has. I'm not sure on the tranny (my friend has most of the information), but I believe its a 3 speed auto trans.
My questions are:
Does anyone know a place that sells cheaper 454's (the only site i know of is crateenginedepot.com)?
Will this trans, with a rebuild, hold up to the torque of the 454? If not, are there any recommended upgrades? (preferably something with more gears)
What differential should we go with? (ford 9" is the standard for high power builds, correct?)
Does anyone have any further advice?

Last edited by HunterKiller89; 07-30-2009 at 04:31 AM.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:46 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

$7k is a petty good start to get you into an engine and trans, but not much more. If you're mechanically inclined and can do a engine build, I'd go with a wrecking yard 454 and build from that. If you checke someplace like Craig's List, you might find a decent long block, or possibly even a complete good motor. That would save a bunch.
The Turbo 350 or Turbo 400 willl hold up to a lot of abuse, if they are properly built. A 700R will give you an extra gear, but not sure they're as strong as what you've got. I'd consider checking your local area for good tranny places, and tell them what you want. You've got a core, so a good Corvette clutch pack, and a high quality shift kit and converter will really make for a nice setup.
A 9" Ford rear can easily be adapted, but a well setup 12 bolt will also handle a fair amount, and be cheaper, unless you find a deal on the 9". I would consider changing the C clip setup out, and going with outboard wheel bearing kits. I put this setup behind my 427ci Camaro years ago, and it's still going strong. No more axle bearing problems from large wheels, and horsepower.

Old 07-31-2009, 04:05 PM

Thanks for the answers. What would you think of something like this?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Fresh...=p4506.c0.m245

or this one to cut costs down:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Fresh...=p4506.c0.m245

If my friend and I get that second short block, and pick up some heads for about a grand, that still leaves $4k for an IM, carb, tranny, and differential.

IDK how much it typically costs to build a tranny up, so I'm not sure how to budget myself for this project. If we really need to, we can dip in to an extra grand or two we have saved up as well.

Can you elaborate on the C clips and wheel bearings btw?

Old 07-31-2009, 04:09 PM
2nd Gear member

the 700r4 is an awesome tranny if its well built also sounds like you got a good project going good luck

Old 07-31-2009, 08:05 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

You will need to support the body with frame connectors and or a roll cage. Those bodies where not designed to handle that much torque. You could have a 200 metric transmission or a Th350. There are tons of kits for the Th350 if its a 200 metric you should get rid of it. Th400 by design is a stronger transmission. If you are looking for a long lasting tranny you should look around for the 400.

Old 07-31-2009, 09:54 PM
2nd Gear member

i agree go with a turbo 400 off craigslist and rebuild it..and sub-frame connecters, and extra frame support will be needed too..also your gonna need good brakes to stop, so if you go 12 bolt they make disc brake conversion kits..

Old 07-31-2009, 10:53 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

The outboard bearing C clip eliminator kit is available through Summit, and basically coverts the std. Chevy 10 bolt or 12 bolt to the earlier style axle setup, where your axle is retained by the bearing, not by the C clip. It also gives you a bearing that rides on a race, not directly on the axle, plus moving the bearing location into the backing plate gives longer bearing life.
I disagree somewhat on the 400 vs. 350 issue. In completely stock mode, the 400 is a better, stronger choice, but it's also a lot heavier, and robs HP from your engine to spin that mass.
My tranny guy told me he could build up a Turbo 350 that would outlast any 400, and give me about 5-10 more HP to the ground. He built my 350 with a Corvette clutch pack, and a Transgo Full Competition kit. He guaranteed this would hold up behind 450+ HP, and so far it's been in my car through 20 yrs., and 3 different rear axles, with no issues. My engine is a .040" over 427ci, that's been dyno'd at a little over 465HP. It's also seen about 8 yrs. of weekend racing, and still on the original rebuild now that it's returned to the street.

Old 08-01-2009, 03:43 AM

Well, I just confirmed it has a turbo 350 trans, so I guess we'll be building it up.
Here's a link complete with pictures of our project by the way.
Name:  Untitled-4.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  100.5 KB

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Sweet...=p4506.c0.m245

Looks like we already have disk brakes too, so we dont need to worry about that.
Is there a place to buy something like frame connectors? or is that more like something that is done on a car by car basis by a welder?
Also, does anyone have a link to a complete ford 9" rear end in a 4.1X or 4.56 ratio (very preferably with a LSD)? All I'm finding is just the gears, just the housing, or unrelated crap.

Last edited by HunterKiller89; 08-01-2009 at 04:00 AM.
Old 08-01-2009, 07:17 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

I built mine with some steel and my wire feed welder, but many places sell them cheap, and they are easily a bolt on affair. Summit Racing sells them in several brands.
I've got some real concerns about building a high torque, hi HP engine project on a T-top car! You will most certainly develope leaky T-tops! T-tops just don't make for a very ridgid body, and even with good frame connectors you may still develope leaks.
You may need frame connectors and a roll cage to strengthen everything!

Last edited by 1971BB427; 08-01-2009 at 07:23 PM.
Old 08-01-2009, 10:14 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Sure is a looking nice car, If its a real Z28 maybe you should just look for a body. Non Z28 project cars are selling for next to nothing. If you are looking for a ford 9" I do not think you current rear brakes will work. By the time you put in the roll cage, frame connectors and the ford rear the value will fall thur the floor. If your going to put a whole new driveline in anyway why cut up a 6-7K car when you could get a solid body for 1-2K

My 74 tore the roof right at the back of where your T-top is. That was with a semi built 350/4 speed. I agree with 1971BB427, T-tops are for weekend rides, You really want a hard top for a 454 convertion.

Quick Reply: New member with a fun project