Need help looking at a purchase...

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 09:13 PM
Default Need help looking at a purchase...

Hi everyone,

I'd really like to join the Camaro community, but before I do that, I'd like to get some advice on a car I'd like to buy.

The link is here. http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/cto/1961479677.html

I'm going to trade my 2001 Jeep Wrangler 4cyl, 2.5l with 180,000 miles For this Camaro. What would the reliability of the car be? Does it look like a good deal? I paid $8,900 for the jeep 4 months ago.

Please help.

Thank you so much!!!

~Rawrgobble!

Old 09-20-2010, 12:14 AM

Anyone?!

Old 09-20-2010, 03:02 AM
Overdrive Member

That isn't a dalily driver. The solid cam will need regular maint. Its a toy, not transportation. I like the seats, those are the ones I'm going to use.

Old 09-20-2010, 04:42 AM
2nd Gear member

I agree about it not being a daily driver.It does look like a very nice car,and if you have another vehicle to use as a dd,then by all means grab that camaro,but it would not be an easy car to keep maintained for everyday use.

Old 09-20-2010, 05:01 AM

What maintenance things would you be talking about? I'm pretty new to cars.

I apologize for the questions, but I heard you guys are the friendliest to ask. :-)

~Rawrgobble

Old 09-20-2010, 06:14 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by rawrgobble
I'm pretty new to cars.

~Rawrgobble

This is NOT a car for some one who is "pretty new to cars". It would not be daily driver for hardly anyone,.especially a newbie. The performance modifications issues will make it more prone to be broken down and be less reliable.

Old 09-20-2010, 09:14 AM
July 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I agree with the other guys but it won't be hard to learn about the car and it will be easier to fix probs yourself than it would be on the jeep. Also in 10-20 yrs the camaro will hold it's value and increase (if kept care of), 2001 Jeep.... not so much lol. But if you plan to drive in the snow, keep the jeep. Plus the ad said it needs bodywork and paint, so i don't think its worth the $8900 you paid for the jeep, but in 10-20 years the jeep won't be worth sh*t lol. your decision but there wont be much maintenance on that camaro that any other car wouldnt need IMO (unless you drive the crap out of it lol). Keep the Jeep and buy a camaro to?

Old 09-20-2010, 09:53 AM
3rd Gear Member

The solid cam will need the lash checked occasionally but nothing major. I run higher compression and a bigger solid roller cam as do a couple of my friends in their Camaros. We drive ours daily but we're also pretty up on making sure stuff is running right. Mine goes 40+ miles round trip to work everyday, 2 hours one way to the beach once or twice a month and whatever I drive on the weekends.

In the end it's about the same amount of work as a regular small block chevy with occasionally checking the lash. As long as it's been built with quality, sturdy parts and you're not ringing it out everyday then it will be fine imo. A transmission with OD will also help extend the life of the engine by keeping you out of the RPM's constantly at highway driving.

Old 09-20-2010, 08:16 PM
Overdrive Member

I was speaking of the cam, mostly. BTW welcome and ask all you want. But I have one for you. Why would you pay $8900 for anything with 180,000 miles? The Camaro may be alittle much for a rookie. I see it as easily leaving you stranded, and some things you can't just grab at Pep Boys. Who knows if it is in optimal tune. How many of you guys have left your dizzy just alittle loose so you could just pull over and "tweek" it. Dont for get the small screwdriver for carb adjustments... I'm guilty as hell.

Old 09-20-2010, 08:40 PM
July 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

^^ lol +1

Quick Reply: Need help looking at a purchase...