need help on carb choices

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 09:00 AM
2nd Gear member

I have two sets of center bolt heads sitting beside my back door. neither are vortecs.

The Holley 670 is no where near the same carb as the summit 600. I mean not even close. However, that doesn't mean the summit one is not the best for him. If he doesn't know why the holley 670 is so much more, then he probably doesn't need all the nicer features.

I am a Holley guy, but I know more about them. Why is every pushing a Holley, the summit is also a Holley, just a lower model.

Why not have him get the old reliable Edelbrock 625. They are by far the easiest carb out there and very affordable. They are even giving away a free air cleaner.

He will never have a problem with a Edelbrock 625.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:34 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Well I guess I shouldn't have assumed they were Vortecs, but figured if someone went to all the other work they must have gone to better heads. But even if they aren't Vortecs, with a bigger cam and the domed pistons I'm pretty sure he can run anything in the 600-650 range.
I personally despise Edelbrocks, as I've had bad luck with them, and I went back to a Holley on my '71. The Edelbrock never gave me good performance, and was horrible to tune and work on. Lot's of things I can do on my Holleys without even taking them off the intake, but every time I worked on the Edelbrock I ended up with it on the bench after getting disgusted. Never did get it to give me great performance, so I sold it after a year of trying and just bolted on the Holley.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:50 AM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by 1971BB427
Never did get it to give me great performance, so I sold it after a year of trying and just bolted on the Holley.
That is the first time I have heard that. I had a Holley and no money so I started learning about Holleys. I never needed to work on an edelbroke. But they guys I race with all run Holleys. You do get better performance if you learn how to tune them.

The two sets of heads I have came on gm create motors. I guess is easy to just by a 225 hp long block. For some reason the ones I find in my cars have center bolt heads.

I agree with the 600 to 650. I think we all do. The 750 is to big not knowing exactly what the heads are. Even if they are vortecs a 650 is more then fine.

He needs to tell us how he is going to use the car and decide on vacuum secondaries and electronic choke.

My C10 has a 770 ultra street avenger. I wanted vacuum secondaries because of the weight of the truck and pulling power. I wanted an electronic choke because it is a daily drive. The 770 is because AFR heads and huge a-s cam.

On the camaro I run an old 750. I took the choke completely out and run mechanical secondaries. It is a race car and no choke adds room for air flow and a place to mount the nitrous switch. Mechanical secondaries are cheaper. Next carb will have vacuum.

Old 03-18-2011, 10:43 AM
1st Gear Member

i should have stated what the car in being built for from the start.
well i it is not a daily driver. mostly a weekend cruiser with some track time (1/8 mile drag)
just looking for a good performer, don't care about fuel milage,
if i need performance AND fuel milage i have a C4 for that

my main question has been answered as to 650 or 750
i appreciate the replies

thanks
Brad

Last edited by bd92rs; 03-18-2011 at 10:46 AM.
Old 03-19-2011, 01:08 AM
Overdrive Member

Cool, get us some pics of your car and motor. I am curious about the heads. I sit with Vall on the fact someone built decent motor and why would crap out when choosing heads. BUT, people do weird things.

A guy at my shop is pulling the 350 out of his pickup and replcing it with a stock motor. Why, because the PO put in a big cam, a set of Votrecs and a Eddy intake. Then put and adapter plate on there to run the TBI. The computer can't figure out what the hell is going on so it runs like crap. I am trying to get the heads and intake so I can get rid of the TBI on my truck.

Old 03-19-2011, 10:05 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by 77nomad
Cool, get us some pics of your car and motor. I am curious about the heads. I sit with Vall on the fact someone built decent motor and why would crap out when choosing heads. BUT, people do weird things.

A guy at my shop is pulling the 350 out of his pickup and replcing it with a stock motor. Why, because the PO put in a big cam, a set of Votrecs and a Eddy intake. Then put and adapter plate on there to run the TBI. The computer can't figure out what the hell is going on so it runs like crap. I am trying to get the heads and intake so I can get rid of the TBI on my truck.
Why didn't he just dump the TBI and put a carb on it? Would have been way cheaper!

Old 03-19-2011, 10:43 PM
Overdrive Member

I don't know. Sure didn't ask all I was interested in was getting the heads. He asked to borrow my cherry picker. I said I hadn't used it yet so probably not. Then he mentioned the heads and intake and suddenly my cherry picker was a loanable tool.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:11 AM
1st Gear Member

ok i've decided to go with the Holley 670 street avenger,
but before i bite the bullet on it i am going to freshen up my fuel system.
starting by dropng the tank, cleaning and inspecting it, (replace if mecessary)
replacing the sending unit, and cleaning the fuel lines,
but was wandering what to do with the return line for it is currently not used.
the vapor line has been eliminated courtesy of a vented gas cap
i am running a mechanical pump right now so do i need to get a sending unit with a return lline or or not,
how have some of you done your fuel delivery system

Old 03-22-2011, 01:24 AM
Overdrive Member

My 78 had a return from the pump. Both ran down the pass. side. The vent was on the drivers. So the return should still be in your car, right? Why not use it? I have seen guys go electric and use the vent as a return.

Old 03-22-2011, 09:16 AM
1st Gear Member

reasons for asking about the return are
1 the mechanical pump that i am currently running has no provision for a return.
2 if i have to replace the sending unit there are two different ones listed for an 80 one with a return and one without and i wanted to be sure to get the right one
3 my future plans are to completely replace ALL fuel lines with -6 A/N braided lines fron the tank up to carb and wasn't gonna run a return if i didn't need it

Quick Reply: need help on carb choices