My 74 needs a heart

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2011 | 08:40 PM
|
Default My 74 needs a heart

1st off guys Im new here...................

I have a 74 camaro that Ive had since 1998 and well It has never been finished for one reason or anouther. Now that I have a garage to work on it in I plan to move it from my dads shop to my garage and start the painfully slow process of her resurection. Im lost when it comes to the choice for a motor and trans combo though. I have a rebuilt Lt1 with cast heads, a rebuilt 427 suposidly from a late 60's early 70's corvette. for the trans I have a turbo 350 with a "street" shift kit and a 3500 stall, and a Muncy 4 speed with a "race" style bell housing. I have been thinking and realize I have hurdles no matter whick direction I go. The Lt1 has a carb intake and thats as far as it got, the 427 is a running fresh rebuild.........only it came out of a 65 chevy 5ton work truck and is outfitted as such<------truck was a stick with a high/low granny trans. the TH350 needs all new gaskets & seals, and the 4speed needs new clutch, presure plate and all the good to make the car a stick. Please tell me which combo you would use and why. This car is not going to be a drag car or even a daily driver.......just somthing to play with occasionally.

Old 04-02-2011 | 09:03 PM
Overdrive Member

You need to let us know what you want to do with the car. Do you plan on making a street beast, street light derby's and such. Or run through corners and surprise a few Honda's in the twisties.

So your saying the 427 is a truck block not a vette block? That may give you issues with the brake booster. So cornering all around fun car, small block 4 speed. Street bruiser that will impress your buddies when you punch it from a green light. 427 with the auto.

Figure that out and I can come up with reasons why.

Old 04-02-2011 | 09:05 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Hey Freak, seems like the 427 which is running, and the 4 speed would be the way i'd go, but i'd pull that truck cam out of the big block, and go with a nice street cam. Does the car have a clutch pedal in it?. Might be something to consider. We have a 73 camaro with a 496 inch motor, cage, th400 with a brake, and its a now and then street driver too. It seems lately its getting closer to a track car though. Its your car, have fun with it. Do it the way you want.

Old 04-02-2011 | 09:16 PM
|

Here is the thing about the 427........................so Im told. My dad bought this truck to haull firewood during the winter and he used it as so for 2 years. Slowly the truck lost power and refused to run so we pulled it apart to find flat lobes on the rear of the cam and sent the parts off to Blaine's in Dallas. While they had the block and heads in for work my dad gets a call about his parts and a bit of confusion as to what he was needing done. the shop ran the casting numbers on the cam, head, & block and said they came back as Corvette parts not truck parts. He had them rebuild the shortblock per the casting numbers.......... Now this is where Im lost.....I was under the impression that a truck motor was a tall block and the intakes where diffrent than a cars intake. The intake used has mounting locations for a air pump for the air assist brakes so I know its not a car intake. can someone help clear this up?

Old 04-02-2011 | 09:31 PM
|

As far as my goal's.........................get it running and drivable.....lol. I would love to do somthing along the lines of a pro touring setup, but I dont have the funds to go all out at this time.

Old 04-02-2011 | 09:39 PM
Overdrive Member

It sounds like a vette long block. Toss the LT1 in then sell the 427 for a couple grand to finance more of your project.

Old 04-02-2011 | 09:47 PM
|

Selling anything is not an option.......whatever parts are not used my dad will eventually use in a 58 Apachi truck he has sitting in the shop.

Old 04-02-2011 | 09:55 PM
Overdrive Member

Ahh. The BB would be at home in that for sure.

Old 04-02-2011 | 10:15 PM
|

So will a "truck intake " just bolt up to a car motor? If thats the case BB it is. Just need a Car dual plane intake.

Old 04-02-2011 | 10:49 PM
Overdrive Member

I think. I would be more worried about the valve cover to booster clearance. Good luck.

Quick Reply: My 74 needs a heart