Mounting second gen. to rotisserie ??

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 09:10 AM
Default Mounting second gen. to rotisserie ??

I build rotisseries and I have a customer who wants to mount a second gen.. I've done lots of mounts for first gens but I'm not familiar with a second gen. So here are my questions:

How are the rear bumpers mounted and is the mount point perpendicular to the ground (first gens are angled). Any photos and/or measurements would be appreciated.

He want to be able to use the same front mounts with the front clip on or off. How do the front bumpers mount? Again, any photos or measurements would be appreciated.

The customer is too far away for me to travel to and he's not tech savvy enough to email photos so that why I'm asking here.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 06-10-2015, 06:05 PM

Really ... nobody's mounted a 2nd gen on a rotisserie ?!?!?!/

Old 06-11-2015, 12:06 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

It really depends on what year 2nd gen he wants to do. The early '70-'73 have a pretty vertical mounting point at the rear bumper, but later went to larger bumpers, and eventually molded bumpers. One rotisserie might not work on all without some adapting.

Old 06-11-2015, 03:05 PM

Sorry, should have mentioned its a '71.

I build the mounts specific to the current application to ensure "that" car is safely supported. What the customer does afterwards is their concern but I'm pretty adamant that there is no such thing as a "universal" mount.

Last edited by gkent; 06-11-2015 at 03:08 PM. Reason: because
Old 06-13-2015, 02:39 AM
1st Gear Member

most second gens I have seen were mounted to the rear leaf pearches not the flimsy bumper panels as most of the time the rear bumber panel will need replaced

Old 06-13-2015, 07:55 AM

Yes, that's how I've always made the mounts for the 1st gens.

Old 06-14-2015, 04:18 AM
1st Gear Member

also i feel thet the front mounts should be on the unibody i would be skeptical if the front sub frame wont move different when rotated upside down

Old 06-14-2015, 10:51 PM

I can't see how you'd attach to the unibody with the front clip on. Furthermore given all the stresses the front end sees, I can't see how flipping a bare shell over would put any more stresses on it than a fully assembled car being driven. It would be no different than putting a car up on a hoist where all the front weight is just hanging there !!

Old 06-15-2015, 12:57 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by gkent
I can't see how you'd attach to the unibody with the front clip on. Furthermore given all the stresses the front end sees, I can't see how flipping a bare shell over would put any more stresses on it than a fully assembled car being driven. It would be no different than putting a car up on a hoist where all the front weight is just hanging there !!
The front weight isn't just hanging there. The front fenders contain a box beam (where the hood hinges mount) which ties the firewall to the front of the subframe. Yes, the fenders do give structural rigidity to the front end, and the frame would tweak on the body mount area if you drove around without a front clip.
With that said, I don't think there would be too much stress on an empty shell. But I've never seen anybody rotisserie a body with the subframe connected, mainly because the frame would be in the way of working on part of the bottom of the body.

Old 06-15-2015, 08:55 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

I agree. Since the body would be an empty shell, and nobody leaves a subframe on it when bolted to a rotisserie, there wont be an issue using the two front subframe mounts near the firewall.

Quick Reply: Mounting second gen. to rotisserie ??