Looking for a 74-77'ish Camaro,your input please!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 03:09 AM
Default Looking for a 74-77'ish Camaro,your input please!

Quick input,19,have two Porsches(my Boxster and Dad's 911) that are in garage that are autocrossed and are fun....but they have their downfalls,way too much money to repair for me to have fun in. Which brings me to a mid-late 70s Camaro.

I'm looking to make it my 'fun' car,something I won't be afriad of burning up the clutch and throwing down the hammer every once and awhile. So this brings me to the 'pros',you guys;

-Is basic maintainence like oil changes,air filter changes change a simple D.I.Y.? I only have expierence working on mid & rear-engine cars,so anything other that,let alone American is new to me.

-Do these cars rust bad like early Mustangs?

-Do you guys have any D.I.Y. pre-purschase inspections guide lines?

-Are there Bentley Manuals for these cars or an equivalent?

-What's the widest rear wheel I can fit on a non Z28?

-To be honest I LOVE the styling of the older Camaros with the rear spoiler as feautered in this pic;

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o...umway/a1-1.jpg

If I buy a Camaro without one,can I add one that looks exactly like the factory or should I just one with it already there?

Thanks for your time and input,

Robert

Old 07-17-2007, 03:14 AM
4th Gear Member
Default RE: Looking for a 75-79'ish Camaro,your input please!

lol wow.. Wish i could get a Boxster at 19 years old... Have fun going from a Porsche to a Camaro.. Thats the jump between a yacht and a seadoo lol.

If you can figure out how to change the oil on a european car, then you should have trouble with an american car.

Old 07-17-2007, 03:27 AM

ORIGINAL: Spartan66

lol wow.. Wish i could get a Boxster at 19 years old... Have fun going from a Porsche to a Camaro.. Thats the jump between a yacht and a seadoo lol.

If you can figure out how to change the oil on a european car, then you should have trouble with an american car.
Actually I've had it since I was 18. I busted my *** selling vintage music equipment on eBay,traveling Nor-Cal and repairing broken gear and then flipping it to international buyers. But enough about that.....

The Porsches in the garage are just that,Porsches. If I abuse then in any way my wallet will pay,$1k+ clutch changes,$1.5k tire replacement,$300 alignements. I don't mind having fun with it,autocrossing and going up and down hills and mountains but I'd like to cut some cost here if I can. I'm hoping by going for the old muscle I can get away without feeling quilty while I'm holding down the gas pedal after the light changes. Plus those biga55 fat tires that I've seen on those old Camaros is sick looking. Those loud rumbly exhaust are pretty sweet as well. I know it's going to lack performance wise,but that's not what I'm concerned about. I just want to be able to peel out and scare little children as I drive by.[8D]

Old 07-17-2007, 08:43 AM
4th Gear Member

Scaring little children is fun to do in ANY car, but in a Camaro its bad *** lol.

Old 07-17-2007, 12:56 PM

Come on,someone has to have an answer to at least 1 of my questions.

Old 07-17-2007, 03:39 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Looking for a 74-77'ish Camaro,your input please!

ORIGINAL: blinkwatt

Quick input,19,have two Porsches(my Boxster and Dad's 911) that are in garage that are autocrossed and are fun....but they have their downfalls,way too much money to repair for me to have fun in. Which brings me to a mid-late 70s Camaro.

I'm looking to make it my 'fun' car,something I won't be afriad of burning up the clutch and throwing down the hammer every once and awhile. So this brings me to the 'pros',you guys;

-Is basic maintainence like oil changes,air filter changes change a simple D.I.Y.? I only have expierence working on mid & rear-engine cars,so anything other that,let alone American is new to me.

-Do these cars rust bad like early Mustangs?

-Do you guys have any D.I.Y. pre-purschase inspections guide lines?

-Are there Bentley Manuals for these cars or an equivalent?

-What's the widest rear wheel I can fit on a non Z28?

-To be honest I LOVE the styling of the older Camaros with the rear spoiler as feautered in this pic;

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o...umway/a1-1.jpg

If I buy a Camaro without one,can I add one that looks exactly like the factory or should I just one with it already there?

Thanks for your time and input,

Robert
They are old cars, they are going to have some rust, it all depends on how well it's been taken care of. I found mine with almost none, so it all just depends.

If you've bought a car you've bought a car, just go over the basics, drivetrain, engine, tranny. Take a bit to look for original/numbers matching cars as well. Those be the good'ns.

Are you talking about chilton manuals? Cause we have those, just going to assume its the same thing.

No clue on the wheels!

Bumblebee was a 77 camaro if im not mistaken, im partial to the 69-70 myself, but you can buy aftermarket spoilers, most come in two sizes.

Old 07-17-2007, 03:53 PM

@ jbf101,thanks for the input!

Do you know if the L6 engines are enough for me to spin the wheels with?

Can someone explain why some 77's I've seen have aluminuim front bumper and som are painted?

Old 07-17-2007, 09:44 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I had a set of Mickey Thompson Indy Profile L-60-15 on the back of mine and they fit. I did have to add a set of air shocks. They are equivalent to a 275-60-15. They were on 15x10 wheels. Now I'm running 285-40-17's on 17x10 wheels. Still fit great. Good luck and have fun!

Old 07-17-2007, 10:08 PM

ORIGINAL: 72ponyeater

I had a set of Mickey Thompson Indy Profile L-60-15 on the back of mine and they fit. I did have to add a set of air shocks. They are equivalent to a 275-60-15. They were on 15x10 wheels. Now I'm running 285-40-17's on 17x10 wheels. Still fit great. Good luck and have fun!
Do you mind telling me where you found bought the wheels from? How much and what tires are you running?

I'm really starting to narrow in on what I want,75-77' 350(77' Z28 would be nice),Manual or Auto,MUST have the big rear spoiler. Call me crazy but I like the ugly aluminuim front bumper. I would consider one sans spoiler but no one has answered any questions as to whether or not the aftermarket ones look good on the car or not.

Old 07-17-2007, 10:09 PM
1st Gear Member

ugly aluminum front bumper!?!

Quick Reply: Looking for a 74-77'ish Camaro,your input please!