Interesting tranny issue.

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 09:20 AM
2nd Gear member
Default Interesting tranny issue.

Tranny has been this way since I got is a year or two ago.
The kickdown doesn't work. I know, I know hook up the cable. It is. I know how to hook up a kickdown at least on the carb side.

Im thinking it is not hooked up on the tranny side. So when you pull on the carb end of a working kickdown cable you can feel that click or engagement.

This one doesn't do that. It is solid. The cable will slide just fine, so the cable isn't frozen but you cant feel that click.

I dont know if I want to bother fixing it, since it will require taking the tranny out. Think I will just get a better tranny built. But I am curious to know what the issue is.

Old 03-23-2011, 09:31 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

I've never felt a "click" when pulling on a kickdown cable for a GM trans, but I've only messed with TH400 and TH350's. They just have spring pressure that pulls them back when you pull on the kickdown. I don't have that hooked up on either of my cars. Both are manual shift, so I just drop it down to 2nd when I need the kickdown.

Old 03-23-2011, 09:38 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Is your vacuum modulator hooked up to manifold vacuum? That's important. Also, why would you have to drop the trans if the problem is with the cable connection?

Old 03-23-2011, 01:02 PM
2nd Gear member

yes the vacuum is hooked up. And you can feel what I am talking about when the tranny is on the ground. Vacuum is irrelevant.

I don't know the correct word, but when you pull on a kick down cable on a turbo 350 you can feel it engage. It isn't really a click but you can feel it. You cant feel anything on this one. It does not pull back.

I cannot get to any part of that tranny. 3" exhaust with an x-pipe. Guess I could pull the headers, but I think it is easier to pull the tranny. Yes, that sounds strange, but you have no idea how hard these headers were to get on these heads. I can normally remove headers in a few minutes. I can on my truck. But these take an hour of cussing and throwing sh_t

Old 03-23-2011, 01:58 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

So what you're saying is you don't feel any resistance, and it feels like it's not connected to anything?
You don't have clearance to drop the pan either, so you can check the detent mechanism?

Old 03-23-2011, 02:09 PM
In the Staging Lanes

If you can get your pan off you should be able to check the cable to see if its attached where it should be (see attachment). How you want to get the pan off, only you know best. Good luck.

Attached Thumbnails Interesting tranny issue.-th350.jpg  
Old 03-23-2011, 02:47 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Sounds like either the spring is gone, or the cable has become disconnected.

Old 03-23-2011, 02:51 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Shifting manually is the simple fix.

Old 03-23-2011, 02:53 PM
2nd Gear member

What? I can get to that cable connection by taking the pan off.
Cool. I will get a tranny filter and gasket today.

I don't know why I didn't think of that. I knew when I installed the tranny that something wasn't correct with that cable.

I thought I had to get to the cable though the small hole it slides into. That's why I thought I would have to drop the tranny. I can easily drop the tranny pan.

I feel like a complete noob. Sorry guys.

Old 03-23-2011, 02:54 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Shifting manually is the simple fix.
You really like that manual shift thing don't you. LOL

I know, and have been. I would just rather have it down shift on its own. Its been this way for over a year.

Quick Reply: Interesting tranny issue.