Ignition questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 09:38 AM
3rd Gear Member
Default Ignition questions

I'm starting to acquire the last few remaining parts needed to finish the new motor setup in the Camaro and had a few questions regarding distributors and ignition boxes. I'm thinking that I'd go with the MSD pro billet hei distributor. I know that it doesn't require a separate ignition box but wonder how much better it would be to get a 6AL also. I would like to have the rev control so I'm pretty sure that I would use one. I'm curious about using a less expensive distributor like the street fire but don't want to sacrifice performance to save a few bucks. If anyone could share some insight or wisdom about what a good setup would be or what you're using I would greatly appreciate it.

Old 10-18-2011, 10:10 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

I think either distributor would work great, but I'd definitely get the 6AL box to control things. Everyone I've talked to that has one has no regrets and loves the way they work with either distributor.

Old 10-18-2011, 10:25 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I've got the 6AL and love it. Instead of using the rpm "pills", I installed their dial adjustable rev limiter. That could come in handy if you ever want to quickly "govern" the engine down should someone other than you drive the car. I also have (yet to install) their timing module, which allows you to fiddle with the ignition timing on the fly. That too, is a nifty feature to have.

Old 10-18-2011, 06:27 PM
3rd Gear Member

I like the sound of the adjustable rev limiter, is it dash mounted? Not sure how often it would get utilized but that "one time" would be worth it I bet. I'm pretty sure the less expensive distributors will work fine but I'm curious if there's a meaningful sacrifice I'd be making? With the street fire I would have to have the ignition box (which I'm going to get anyway) and the pro billet I wouldn't, which is moot. Just wondering if that's the only differences between them? I want to get this stuff ordered in the next few days and don't want to end up wishing I had the "other one."

Old 10-18-2011, 06:58 PM
1st Gear Member

I went for the pro billet but instead of HEI i got the separate blaster 2 coil. I love it and if the price is only a difference between 10 or 20 bucks why not go for the pro billet. The 6AL is also amazing. It comes with 2000, 3000, 6000, and 7000 rpm chips that you can plug into the side of the box to govern your rpm's. I'm sure whatever you go with, you won't be missing out on anything. If you are really worried about it though, just pony up the extra bucks to get the better one so that you won't have any regrets by wondering "what if?".

Old 10-18-2011, 07:05 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Yeah, the module is under dash mount. I have mine tucked up under the dash since I usually don't mess with it, but it's there if I want to. If it makes your distributor choice any easier, you don't want the pro billet distributor for a street car. It's a mechanical advance, you want a vacuum advance distributor so ignition timing will adjust according to engine load.

Old 10-18-2011, 07:19 PM
3rd Gear Member

I agree completely Mr Blue, but what I was looking at the price difference is between $170ish and $370ish. I just assumed I needed to use an HEI. Please don't get me wrong, not trying to be cheap. That's the kind of insight I was looking for. Justifying an extra $20 or even $50 I understand. It's the $200 that had me wondering.

Old 10-18-2011, 07:43 PM
3rd Gear Member

Interesting, I thought the pro billet hei was vacuum advance? The one I'm looking at says vacuum pickup, vacuum advance with an adjustable rev limit. I didn't really want to spend that kind of money on a distributor to have features that I would get with the 6al. That's why I was wondering about a less expensive distributor but still have a good setup. We're only talkin' spark so I don't want to get too crazy with these questions but all the info is helpful, thank you all!

Old 10-18-2011, 09:44 PM
1st Gear Member

oh wow that is quite a price gap lol. I def don't know all there is to know about ignition systems. Unfortunately, i didn't know about this site when i purchased mine so i was unable to get the insight that you are getting now. I was just sharing my thoughts experience with what i have. I bought mine with the mindset that you get what you pay for and now i know that isn't true. It's pretty much only true for buying computers haha.

Old 10-18-2011, 10:20 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by 78 on my plate
Interesting, I thought the pro billet hei was vacuum advance? The one I'm looking at says vacuum pickup, vacuum advance with an adjustable rev limit.
Ohhhhhhhh, when you were comparing the Pro Billet to the Street Fire, and the differences between the two, I was thinking the non-HEI mechanical advance one.
The Pro Billet's come in different trims; standard (separate coil) mechanical or vac advance, and HEI.

Quick Reply: Ignition questions