I need Help with my 79 rs

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 07:07 PM
Default I need Help with my 79 rs

Hey,

I have a 79 rs with a stock 350. Edelbrock Performer Carb. TH350 tranny that is semi automatic. (a clutchless manual) or maybe its automatic? I dont know iv'e never seen one until i bought the car. Well basically....my top end sucks. The tranny has 3 gears and the first 2 are ok (could use some more torque) but the 3rd gear is horrible. The car slowly builds up speed after 60 mph. Could it be the gears in the rear end? I think im running the stock gears so its somewhere around 2:70. Or maybe a carb/ intake problem? Vacuum loss? any help would be appreciated!

thanks,

tyler

Old 03-31-2009, 08:43 PM
1st Gear Member

I think the 3-speed is more used for drag racing. I hear a lot of automatics are not as stout as a TH350. It's like overdrive you hit 3rd.
So, this might be the best gas mileage car you own. You going to place a set of rear gears in it and wind the pizz out of it?

Idles fine, correct? Revs in both gears but 3rd, right?

Old 04-03-2009, 03:03 AM
2nd Gear member

ur car only came with like 180hp dude so ya its not going to scream in third gear, and if you hade 270 in the rear you should beable to go 70 in first gear, what rpm do you shift at. could also be timing or jeting of your carb we need more details to figure out whats going on with ur car.

Old 04-16-2009, 08:43 PM

yea thats what im worried about...i know late 70's camaros have terrible performance. the edelbrock carb is kinda ghetto rigged. intake manny is stock, heads are stock, so i think thats a part of the problem. and i dont even know what rpm's im hitting. theres no tachometer in the dash. just idiot lights =(.