Hope I am in the right place!! Need info on a car I want to buy

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 12:31 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Hope I am in the right place!! Need info on a car I want to buy

I'm new here and I couldn't find a 2nd gen. general section, so I put this here.
I have a chance to buy a '73 with a 454(runs strong), with dual edelbrocks and headers and 3" exhaust. The internals I know nothing about. It was built as a strip car, so I am hoping it has a beefy short block! And I intend to someday put the Big Block in My Vette. Also the car has a good Kenwood FM?CD player and 2 new Kenwood 6 by 12" speakers in the deck that I will also be removing.
2black fabric seats that I will be keeping for another project.

What will be staying with the shell will be:
Alum. flat racing wheels(wide in the back and narrow in the front...tireswith 50% wear)
Full 3" under car exhaust with flow masters and Headers(car has a nice rumble right now)
Th400 trans that may have a shift kit in it, I cant say for sure, but it does have a fancy trigger type??? B& M shifter.
And a 12 bolt rear end that has a 4:11 gear(I think)
Near as I can tell the bod looks like a 4 out of 10 for rust and some missing parts!(it does have 2 new door Panels and the int is black)
Now the question I hate to use, but I have to at this Point due to my lack of knowledge at this time...What is the body worth with the parts I stated included. Really have no place to store the car or I would probably hold on to it and when I have the money, make a project out of it!!!
Also I can get this car for $4500.00! Is that a decent deal considering the facts I presented about the car????
Again I really hate to see "what do you think threads" so I really don't like to post them...I feel that every one should do their own research, but I need knowledge soon and I have a new pup so my computer time is limited!!!
Thanks in advance my new found friends!!!
Mark

Old 04-21-2008, 12:42 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner
Default RE: Hope I am in the right place!! Need info on a car I want to buy

It's unfortunate you don't know what's inside the engine. Do you know how much it's been used since it was built? Considering if you were to put your own shopping list together to include what that car has, you would easily spend $4500, not including the car. So it doesn't sound like too bad of a deal to me.

Old 04-21-2008, 01:19 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Any guess as to what the bod will be worth with the parts I stated I would leave with it? Not looking to get rich...Just want to sell the shell and rearend for a fair price and I don't want to sell and screw myself!!! I also don't have much room left so I will want to price to sell!!! I would hate to crush it!!!
Thanks

Old 04-21-2008, 02:04 PM
In the Staging Lanes

ORIGINAL: Camaro 69

It's unfortunate you don't know what's inside the engine. Do you know how much it's been used since it was built? Considering if you were to put your own shopping list together to include what that car has, you would easily spend $4500, not including the car. So it doesn't sound like too bad of a deal to me.
It was built forraceing so I think it is fairley stout!

Old 04-22-2008, 05:38 PM
In the Staging Lanes

ttt

Old 04-22-2008, 10:06 PM
In the Staging Lanes

ORIGINAL: Camaro 69

All I know is that it doesn't leak anything, no smoke on start-up or while running, it starts easily w/no noises and it idles well with a pleasent lope. And when I drove it today.....I wish I would of had a haanz(sp) device to keep my head in place....Lots of power!!!
Mark

Old 04-24-2008, 02:27 AM
In the Staging Lanes

[sm=feedback.gif]TTT

Old 04-24-2008, 10:50 PM
1st Gear Member

hard to say without actually seeing it but with the parts stated i would say anywhere from $1000-$2000 would be a good deal if you want it gone quickly without a motor. if you were to throw in a motor after you took out that 454 and got it running and driving then your looking at $2500 - $3500. it all depends on what shape its in.