Hood wont line up

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 07:23 PM
2nd Gear member
Default Hood wont line up

Any idea why the back of my hood wont set down all the way.
Door and fender line up great.

Test with the air cleaner off the car. Same problem, actually noticed the problem when the engine wasn't in the car.

Stock steel hood and springs.

Ive been thinking about taking a die grinder to the hinge and increasing the adjustment. Yes, the hood hing is all the way down. The other side is up a little but not much. I can simply push down on the other side and it lines up.

I already tried oiling the hinges. Are the hinges bad?

Thanks for reading.

Old 06-04-2010, 07:38 PM
Overdrive Member

Worn out springs or a bad adjustment.

Old 06-04-2010, 08:03 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Have you tried lowering the hinge mounting? I think 77nomad is correct about worn out hinges, but adjustment might make a temp fix.

Old 06-04-2010, 08:04 PM
2nd Gear member

There isnt any more adjustment. Everything else on the car lines up.
That is why I was thinking about cutting the hinge to add more adjustment.

Wasn't sure if worn out hinges would do that.

Old 06-04-2010, 08:13 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Opening up the adjustment holes will probably be a easy temporary fix, but I'd still look for some new hinges. You should also try the simple way and just shoot some lube on the hinge points too. That will often do wonders.
There are two leveling pins at the rear of the cowl that the hinges fit into also when it's all the way down. Try adjusting those lower too. Have you pushed down on the hood to see if it's solid at the rear when down, or might have some play?

Old 06-04-2010, 11:32 PM
Overdrive Member

I have read in another forum that adjusting this out is back asswards. Loosen the front fender mount and tilt it up. Again this is not experiance talking.

Old 06-04-2010, 11:50 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Have you tried not dropping the hinge all the way at both mounting bolts, but lowering it at one hole and raising it on the other?
Sometimes mounting the hinge at an angle can lower the hood more than if the hinge was down all the way and level.

Old 06-05-2010, 08:12 AM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Have you tried not dropping the hinge all the way at both mounting bolts, but lowering it at one hole and raising it on the other?
Sometimes mounting the hinge at an angle can lower the hood more than if the hinge was down all the way and level.
Really, no. Will try today.

AS for raising the front of the fender. I tried but cant get the nose to come up any higher.

If I push down hard enough the hood will close. So, no it isn't solid. The hood isn't hitting anything that I am aware of.

Leveling pins? What?

Old 06-05-2010, 08:55 AM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
SWEET, Strange but this fixed it. I left the back of the spring all the way down, then pulled the front all the way up. This let the back drop down perfectly. I then had to pull the hood forward 1/4 inch. For some reason tilting the springs slid the hood down and back.

Thanks.

Old 06-05-2010, 09:43 AM
Overdrive Member

Thats what I meant by front fender bolt. Sorry for the confusion. Sounds like you got it though. See these forums are good for something.

Quick Reply: Hood wont line up