hood elevated?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 10:16 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default hood elevated?

hey you guys sorry for posting so many new posts lately, but there's a lot of things i need to fix before i enter my camaro in our coming up school car show, anyway i am going to buy a cowl induction hood soon because the manifold raised the carb so high that the thread for the wing-nut that holds the filter started hitting the hood... > the guy we bought it from somehow made the hood lift up about an inch of so,its still a close fit, but when i looked at the nuts on the hinges they were adjusted all the way down :/.... so I'm confused on how he moved the hood like that, I'll have some pictures of the hinges up tomorrow

Old 11-04-2008, 10:52 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner
Default RE: hood elevated?

That's an old trick for making your own "cowl induction" hood. Loosen the back bolts on both hinges to bea little looser than snug. Then loosen the front ones just slightly. Close the hood and latch it, then pull up on the hood at the windshield as far as it will go. Having someone to help so you can pull at each hinge point will help. Open the hood slowly and tighten the bolts. If you want to go up further, you can elongate the back holes on the hinges.

Old 11-04-2008, 11:01 PM
In the Staging Lanes

whats your opinion on cutting a hole through the hood and letting the filter stick out?

Old 11-04-2008, 11:06 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Do you have a dropped base air cleaner on it now? If not, that will gain yousome clearance.

Old 11-04-2008, 11:11 PM
In the Staging Lanes

yes i think... the air filter is dropped down a lot but still sticks up and is still near the top of the threads
i think i might buy a z28 hood in a little bit that shouls solve a lot of my problems

Old 11-04-2008, 11:25 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Is your air cleaner the closed type, or an open filter element? If an open element, and depending on how tall the filter is, you maybe able to get a lower profile filament.

Old 11-04-2008, 11:49 PM
In the Staging Lanes

yeah its open are you saying that i could buy a smaller filter? sorry i'm not very engine smart

Old 11-05-2008, 07:47 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Sorry for jumping in but I've got the same issue because of my air gap intake. Can you let me know how you resolve your clearance issue? Thanks.

Old 11-05-2008, 12:46 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

ORIGINAL: David56
yeah its open are you saying that i could buy a smaller filter? sorry i'm not very engine smart
A lot of the aftermarket open filters have a 3" tall element.If that's what you have, then you can replace it with a 2" element, shorten the stud, and gain an inch of clearance. Yes, you'll be losing an inch of filter surface, but I don't see that as a restriction for you unless you're running a huge monstercarb.

Old 11-05-2008, 05:32 PM
In the Staging Lanes

i would do that but my hood is messed up any bent a little

Quick Reply: hood elevated?