hi from iran

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 12:43 PM
Default hi from iran

dear freinds.
hi. my name is reza and im 34 years old .i have a 1977 camaro with inline 250 cid engine with 4 speed saginaw gearbox.
2 years ago i bought this car from the same person who brought it from usa to iran in 1978.
i had restored from bumper to bumper in original shape and now i want to add some more horse power to engine. everything is working well and in good condition later i will give you detailed list from what i have done so far.
now in your opinion from where i can start to tune up my ride?

Old 09-24-2011, 02:35 PM
2nd Gear member

Welcome to the forum.That is a very nice looking car.As far as adding power to the inline 6,the only things i could really think of is maybe a better intake manifold and aftermarket 2 barrel carburaetor,and maybe adding a header to it.Not sure how much power you would gain from these,but it would definitely add some.

Old 09-24-2011, 03:55 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

If you're set on keeping the I6, then I'd agree with a bigger carb and header, plus new exhaust system to match. But I'd pull the I6 and go with a 350 if it was mine for really big gains.

Old 09-24-2011, 07:12 PM
1st Gear Member

Welcome from California... I agree with the guy's about installing a 350 if you could. It could be a reliable 300hp model that would just run without repairs. Also leaving you a place to start to make real horsepower... Welcome and i hope all remains at peace in the world, so, we can enjoy our Camaros.....

Old 09-24-2011, 07:38 PM
Overdrive Member

We swapped a 292 from a pick up into my brothers Camaro, we used every bit of the 130 mph speedo. Not my idea of a hot rod though. No replacement for displacement.

Old 09-25-2011, 12:45 AM

hi.
thanks for your reply. beig honest i have so many tuned 350 engines but not even one 250 i dont know why?
most important thing for me is to keep my car in original shape even so many experts told me to put a v8 and swap the engine still im not feeling ok with that.
so im determine to add some power to my inline 6 but im not looking for drag car only i want to add some horse power.
my plan is as follow and i need your technical advise :
1-instaling headers and dual exhaust. what is the pipe size and how many collectors i need ?
2-installing msd 6al kit.
3-installing 2bbl carb. how many cfm ?
4-installing comp camshaft.i dont know what spec i go for?
for your informationmy carb is rochester monojet.
so please advise me with your technical opinions.
many thanks.

Old 09-25-2011, 12:55 AM
2nd Gear member

How about doing a small turbo? that would certainly be different. I'd would be cool to see you keep the 6cyl.

Old 09-25-2011, 06:27 AM
2nd Gear member

I agree about keeping the 6 cylinder,you just never see any of them anymore,so thats cool.As for a 2 barrel carb,i would say maybe 500cfm,as for a header and collector,i believe you only need 1 for an inline motor,your exhaust manifold is only on 1 side of the motor correct?As for pipe size,i would not go any bigger than 2 1/4".

Old 09-25-2011, 10:28 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Exhaust depends on the header you buy. Some have two collectors for a split manifold, and some dump into one. Your selection of headers will be extremely limited, as there aren't many people making headers for this application. Not sure if the 6 cyl. headers for Chevy truck will fit and work, but they are more available.
The carb change will probably require an intake change also, and this will be another roadblock, as the selection of aftermarket intakes will be small. I agree with the 500cfm, but that depends on which cam you select. A slightly larger cam will work well with a 500cfm, but much larger and you should consider a 4 barrel intake and 600cfm carb, as they will work better.
Isky sells this cam advertised as an "oval track" cam, but it's not so radical that it wont work well on the street and surprise some V8's!:
Isky Racing Cams 231525 - Isky Oval Track Solid Flat Tappet Camshafts - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Here's some intakes that use two or three stock one barrels:
6 Cylinder Chevy Intake - Speedway Motors, America's Oldest Speed Shop

Here's a link to Clifford Performance. They've been a good source for 6 cyl. performance for many years:
Clifford Performance :: Make 6 = 8

Old 09-26-2011, 05:02 AM

hi.
thanks for all your help and information.
im going to buy msd kit together with wire and ignition plug , iridium spark plugs will work good?
for headers im going to put two collectors togethet with thrush glasspack mufflers.
for intake manifold still im not sure i have two options:
1-changing the intake manifold and installing 2bbl edelbrock carb 350 cfm.
2-changing the intake manifold and installing two weber carbs.
for camshaft can you give me some technical specifications?
also im going to change clutch disk and pressure plate, i heard borgwarner high carbon will work good is it true?
many thanks for your support.